Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Paying Full Price  (Read 7865 times)

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Paying Full Price
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »
Actually, it's too early to start planning for retirement more than 1 year before you're going to retire. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean such as putting money into a 401K etc and all of that, of course.

But the idea of already in your 20s your focus on life is "When I'm 55, I'm really going to enjoy life"... That kind of planning, no. Enjoy life, today. There are enjoyable jobs out there for everyone. Ask yourself what your favorite hobby is. Then find a way to make money of that. Instant recipe of happiness.

The statistical chance of you being dead before 55 is significant enough to not focus your life around that.

You need to start planning well before a year from retirement because you need an idea of what you want to do, what your goals are, and therefore how much money you need. Aloso, I enjoy life a whole hell of a ton right now...maybe too much.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »
Actually, it's too early to start planning for retirement more than 1 year before you're going to retire. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean such as putting money into a 401K etc and all of that, of course.

But the idea of already in your 20s your focus on life is "When I'm 55, I'm really going to enjoy life"... That kind of planning, no. Enjoy life, today. There are enjoyable jobs out there for everyone. Ask yourself what your favorite hobby is. Then find a way to make money of that. Instant recipe of happiness.

The statistical chance of you being dead before 55 is significant enough to not focus your life around that.

OK, I see your point now. Still, some people, depending on their ideas for retirement, would be best served making non-financial retirement plans more than 1 year out, but maybe not much more.

More than a year before you retire, sure. More than a year before you graduate? Really, no.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2007, 03:07:51 PM »

OK, I see your point now. Still, some people, depending on their ideas for retirement, would be best served making non-financial retirement plans more than 1 year out, but maybe not much more.

More than a year before you retire, sure. More than a year before you graduate? Really, no.

It's called goals man...and they're good to have set...and they can always change as you progress.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
Each to their own I guess. I'm not a big fan of goals.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »
Each to their own I guess. I'm not a big fan of goals.

All my life I've had one dream, to acheive my many goals.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
Yup, I guess that's just a personal motivation thingy. Some people like to have milestones to guide their path, others like to take it on a day-to-day basis I suppose. I know I belong to the latter at least.

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2007, 04:44:14 PM »
Keno! Im surprised.  I thought we were alike in so many ways.  I'm a goal person!!  I wish I was not however.  Because its like you are never truly happy until you reach that goal, and by the time you reach that one, you've got another one in front of it... :-[

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
I have a goal...to not be in debt on my death bed like Jefferson was.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2007, 05:07:21 PM »
Keno! Im surprised.  I thought we were alike in so many ways.  I'm a goal person!!  I wish I was not however.  Because its like you are never truly happy until you reach that goal, and by the time you reach that one, you've got another one in front of it... :-[

Exactly :)

highjumper

• Mindless masses, the General will lead you.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2007, 05:45:17 PM »
I have a goal...to not be in debt on my death bed like Jefferson was.

Why? You don't have to pay it back at that point!
If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain.
-Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.