Law School Discussion

In-house counsel vs. biglaw

jwd03

In-house counsel vs. biglaw
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »
I have a cursory understanding of how biglaw works but know very little about options such as working as in-house counsel.  Could we start a discussion about the difference in pay scale, number of positions, difficulty to attain, etc. between the two options? 

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
Re: In-house counsel vs. biglaw
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
I think this is a great topic. I'm too lazy to type stuff out right now, though. 

So, I'm going to suggest you go down to your local book resale shop and buy a copy of "America's Greatest Places to Work with a Law Degree" by Kimm Alayne. It's got sections that are fantastic overviews of many different jobs you can do with a law degree, including the two you are asking about.

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 10:00:07 AM »
From my understanding you generally are not going to get an in-house gig right out of school, though I don't know if you were asking that.

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »
Most in house counsel use to be big firm attorneys with the company as clients.  Then with the expertice gained, they go over as in house. 

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
whats a good way to get a in house job with a corporation? would a joint MBA/JD help?

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »
whats a good way to get a in house job with a corporation? would a joint MBA/JD help?

i have no idea, but the general consensus seems to say that JD/MBA is next to worthless even for in house counsel. You're still a lawyer as an in house counsel person.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:53 PM »
Less money.  Almost no room for advance (but great benefits).

Hours = 9-5, not 9-9.

Basically, it's what BIGLAW kids do when they want their lives to be liveable (EG they want to start dating heavily, get married, have kids, have a life, take up golf, etc).

You won't make 2m a year like you will if you stick it out in biglaw, but you won't die of hypertension induced liver and kidney failure at 32, either.

Ummm... if by "stick it out" you mean, "make partner," then the comparable position in-house, the General Council, will make plenty. If you are General Council for a big brokerage or something, your compensation will not be dissapointing.  ;)

And General Council are often hired by companies as CEOs as well.

Big Slick

• All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:27:02 PM »

Hours = 9-5, not 9-9.

Basically, it's what BIGLAW kids do when they want their lives to be liveable (EG they want to start dating heavily, get married, have kids, have a life, take up golf, etc).

You won't make 2m a year like you will if you stick it out in biglaw, but you won't die of hypertension induced liver and kidney failure at 32, either.

Ummm... if by "stick it out" you mean, "make partner," then the comparable position in-house, the General Council, will make plenty. If you are General Council for a big brokerage or something, your compensation will not be dissapointing.  ;)

I believe it is General Counsel

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:39:35 PM »

Hours = 9-5, not 9-9.

I believe it is General Counsel

See, I haven't even been out of school for a full year and I'm forgetting how to spell...  :(

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 01:42:22 PM »
are you going to wear your villanova sweatshirt and big goofy grin to the Emory day, captain? that'll make you easily identifiable!