Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: graduate school- Does it help?  (Read 440 times)

Thod

• View Profile
    • Email
graduate school- Does it help?
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:41:15 PM »
I am about to graduate with a four year in pol sci.  My grades from my two year school are just passing. My grades from my major are great. However, that is not good enough having about a 2.6 on a 4.0 scale.  If I got a graduate degree, would that up my chances?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: graduate school- Does it help?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:44:11 PM »
it does not factor into the LSAC gpa., which is the number that the schools care about and report to things like US News.  Some seem to think that a grad degree, especially if it is just an MA or other 1 year degree, is basically a soft factor.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 02:06:33 AM »
Are you really willing to invest years & thousands for that little boost?   :o

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
I didn't go to graduate school(MA in English Lit) with the intent of using that degree to get into law school. It was during my second semester of the two year program that I decided that whatever I wanted out of life had nothing to do with the degree that I was currently pursuing. But I thought I did so horrible in undergrad that I had better show my future admission committees what I could do. It worked along with a decent LSAT score. If you just graduated from college I would take that time to take a few classes and figure out if law school is really for me and the good grades that you had better get will only enhance your application. Also try to get interviews.

What_Now?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 01:01:41 AM »
I did my Masters degree before gravitating toward law school, but I'm so grateful for having completed the MA first.  My graduate work taught me how to think analytically, and it taught me how to write scholarly, journal-quality pepers.  After composing several forty-page analyses, as well as a two-hundred-page thesis, I feel far more prepared for the rigors of law school than many of my friends did when they entered.

I'm not saying that a graduate degree will make you a successful law student, or even get you into a good school.  But given the right circumstances, a graduate education can strengthen the skills you'll need as a law student.