Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CLEO Attitude is Essential Summer Conference  (Read 11994 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: CLEO Attitude is Essential Summer Conference
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2007, 10:49:11 PM »
So who was supposed to update me?  ;)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2007, 12:14:18 PM »

Lol.  I think one of those was supposed to be me.  :D  (I just figured out who you were with the new screen name yesterday, btw.)  Anywho, I'm pretty sure that as on top of things as you are, you already know a lot of what we were told. Not to take anything away from the weekend, but the best part of the weekend is really just getting to meet other 0Ls in my opinion. 

If you want me to forward you copies of the cases we read, let me know and I will.  Besides that, I'd recommend that you purchase a copy of the book they gave us if you don't already have it.  It's called Expert Learning for Law Students by law professor Michael Hunter Schwartz, one of the presenters.  I am almost finished with it, and I'm *SO* very glad I read it.  I really believe I'll approach LS assignments with an entirely different mindset and be a lot better off for it, too. It really gets into the day-to-day practicalities of what it takes to be successful in law school. 

As for everything else....the financial aid session was good, but geared more toward ASAP students.  At this point in the game, you know all that stuff.  Ummm... that's really all I can think of for now.  If you have specific questions about something, let me know.  I highly recommend the book though; I haven't read advice like it contains anywhere else. hth  :)
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »

Lol.  I think one of those was supposed to be me.  :D  (I just figured out who you were with the new screen name yesterday, btw.)  Anywho, I'm pretty sure that as on top of things as you are, you already know a lot of what we were told. Not to take anything away from the weekend, but the best part of the weekend is really just getting to meet other 0Ls in my opinion. 

If you want me to forward you copies of the cases we read, let me know and I will.  Besides that, I'd recommend that you purchase a copy of the book they gave us if you don't already have it.  It's called Expert Learning for Law Students by law professor Michael Hunter Schwartz, one of the presenters.  I am almost finished with it, and I'm *SO* very glad I read it.  I really believe I'll approach LS assignments with an entirely different mindset and be a lot better off for it, too. It really gets into the day-to-day practicalities of what it takes to be successful in law school. 

As for everything else....the financial aid session was good, but geared more toward ASAP students.  At this point in the game, you know all that stuff.  Ummm... that's really all I can think of for now.  If you have specific questions about something, let me know.  I highly recommend the book though; I haven't read advice like it contains anywhere else. hth  :)

Are you going through the workbook? Or just reading through the actual book?

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »

Are you going through the workbook? Or just reading through the actual book?

I'm just reading the book.  Another guy who went is doing the workbook, and I think he finds it helpful.  I know myself though and I'm not about to finish a workbook between now and September.   :D  How about you?

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2007, 02:01:54 AM »
LOL...I hear ya

I am not reading any one of them..I was doing some research and wanted to know which one you were refrencing above :)

dat_raw_n_tellect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My song!
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
Hi Nat!!

Well, I will be starting school on August 22nd, but I am soooooooo happy that CLEO gave us Professor Schwartz's book! 

A few students stayed after to talk with some professors after the first class and we were telling the professors what Law School Confidential said about outlining.  AND THEY LOOKED AT US LIKE WE WERE CRAZY!!  lol We were immediately told that we better not use solely the book to outline.  The practice was not something I had planned on doing anyway, but it was nice to hear from actual professors about outlining.

"What you get free costs too much."
-Jean Anouilh

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »
Ok, what workbook? I just received a copy of the textbook. I have been reading it and noticed some sections where it tells you to complete the exercises in the workbook. Did they give out a workbook or did you have to buy that seperately?

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2007, 04:03:49 PM »
Real quick, I was wondering if anyone from LA had received the survey link yet!?! I am getting worried... I am going to try to read that book or at least what I can of it in two weeks. Does anyone recommend some the methods in PLSII? Cuz I was reading that one too....
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

dat_raw_n_tellect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My song!
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2007, 05:07:36 PM »
Ok, what workbook? I just received a copy of the textbook. I have been reading it and noticed some sections where it tells you to complete the exercises in the workbook. Did they give out a workbook or did you have to buy that seperately?

Hi Chocolate!  I did not receive a workbook..I only received the actual book itself.

Real quick, I was wondering if anyone from LA had received the survey link yet!?! I am getting worried... I am going to try to read that book or at least what I can of it in two weeks. Does anyone recommend some the methods in PLSII? Cuz I was reading that one too....

Hi Chibundu!  I was at the L.A. Seminar and I receive the survey link around Tuesday, I believe.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had Monday off as they worked all weekend!  If you haven't received it I would email/call them.
"What you get free costs too much."
-Jean Anouilh

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2007, 09:36:15 PM »
Hi Nat!!

Hey, girl!  :)

A few students stayed after to talk with some professors after the first class and we were telling the professors what Law School Confidential said about outlining.  AND THEY LOOKED AT US LIKE WE WERE CRAZY!!  lol We were immediately told that we better not use solely the book to outline.  The practice was not something I had planned on doing anyway, but it was nice to hear from actual professors about outlining.

See, that is good to know -- even though it makes me confused about what to do now.  I was thinking about just high-lighting the text after reading LSC, while still typing class notes and the outline as I went.  After reading the Schwartz book (well, truth be told, I'm about 2 chapters from finishing), I was thinking that I would still do the book highlighting method, use that to type the brief, and then type the notes and outline.  I'm not sure if what I'm saying is clear, but...I'm hoping to do a blend of both.  I guess...  :P