Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC or Penn  (Read 1508 times)

blueshampoo

• View Profile
GULC or Penn
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:54:13 PM »
So I was all set to go to GULC, but I feel like I have been swayed by a lot of what people are saying about the school on the blogs and at ASWs (that opportunities will not be as good graduating from Georgetown as from one of the higher-ranked T14 schools.)

So, it turns out that the cost of attending GULC and Penn will be roughly equivalent for me (a little more at Penn). I want to do international law, maybe immigration law - so shouldn't GULC be the better choice? Or does Penn's higher rank compensate?

Thoughts?

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
Re: GULC or Penn
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:00:56 PM »
So I was all set to go to GULC, but I feel like I have been swayed by a lot of what people are saying about the school on the blogs and at ASWs (that opportunities will not be as good graduating from Georgetown as from one of the higher-ranked T14 schools.)

So, it turns out that the cost of attending GULC and Penn will be roughly equivalent for me (a little more at Penn). I want to do international law, maybe immigration law - so shouldn't GULC be the better choice? Or does Penn's higher rank compensate?

Thoughts?

Well, from what I know, Penn is working on building up their International Law program, and it's beginning to pay some real dividends.  I wouldn't really look at the rankings too much to determine your choice, though.  It is possible that you might be slightly less competitive for certain jobs, maybe.  However, I'm really not sure it would be to a degree that you'd even really notice.  T14 pretty much rocks all around.  If I were you, I'd just make sure I visit both schools.  Try to figure out which you'd enjoy yourself more at, and that's where you go.  But if money's pretty much equivalent, that's what I'd look at, and never mind the rankings. ;)
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

mets2007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »
People on this site are way too obsessed with rankings. If you like Georgetown more, go to Georgetown. Now, if it were G-town-Yale or G-town-Harvard, maybe I would say different, but I think you can choose Georgetown over Penn with no regrets. As you noted, though, some people on here will tell you that you are really screwing up if you pick G-town.

radioface

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
wow. i think this is the first time Ive seen good advice back-to-back on this board. nice work guys

the people on here are definitely retarded about the USNWR rankings. meanwhile all USNWR is trying to do is sell  magazines. talk to people at both schools about your interests and how they match up with what the school has to offer. talk to current students.

at Penn ASW last weekend a current 2L gave a talk on how she has developed programs in developing countries. getting permission through the law shool to take trips to south america and do legal work. and her message was basically: propose it, and if its reasonable, its done. which I thought was encouraging.

Penn Law '10

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:07:49 PM »
oh boo, who were you radioface?  i wonder if we talked

fowles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
In the same boat - I was all set on Georgetown, but Penn miraculously came through with an acceptance a few days back.  Also interested in Penn's international programs...I'll probably try to attend the April 5th event.  Anyone else?

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »
In the same boat - I was all set on Georgetown, but Penn miraculously came through with an acceptance a few days back.  Also interested in Penn's international programs...I'll probably try to attend the April 5th event.  Anyone else?

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,84438.0.html

Step on into the craziness that is Penn's April 5th open house.  Just don't forget your sacrificial offering to Domus.
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

The Dude

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's like, your opinion, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:36:42 PM »
Ratings and rankings aside, I too am looking into immigrations, and I was impressed by Penn's offerings. Apparently their immigrations clinic is pretty awesome. I had the chance to talk to several kids about it at the LALSA luncheon on Saturday. They were all very satisfied with it, and it's worth noting that Penn is one of only a few schools that allows you to do clinical work your first year.

Another great opportunity that Penn is unveiling is its connection with Wharton's Lauder Program. This is totally geared toward people with international interests, although primarily on a corporate front. (As Dean Post explained to me, Lauder won't facilitate your placement with an international agency; they only work with companies.)

Finally, Penn's public sector funding is quite nice if you're looking that way. One of the girls on the student panel (I don't remember her first name, but her last name was Valentine) was explaining about the international fellows summer program which provides funding and agency placement over the summer. Additionally the LRAP program is very forgiving if you're interested in public interest immigrations work.

So, enough cheerleading I guess. Needless to say, I was looking at both Penn and GULC, and was excited by Penn.
Law school is fun.

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:47:34 PM »
I'm making the same decision, though with scholarships at both, and I have to decide by this Monday. (eek!)

I've been pretty much set on Gtown, but I'm surprising myself by being swayed by Penn's climb to 6 to tie with Chicago.  I guess it just reiterates to me that Penn is more respected (and smaller class size helps with jobs also).

So I'm like pulling my hair out right now.  I think I'd be happier at Gtown, my quality of life would be better, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'd eventually regret not attending Penn.

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:48:57 PM »
I'm making the same decision, though with scholarships at both, and I have to decide by this Monday. (eek!)

I've been pretty much set on Gtown, but I'm surprising myself by being swayed by Penn's climb to 6 to tie with Chicago.  I guess it just reiterates to me that Penn is more respected (and smaller class size helps with jobs also).

So I'm like pulling my hair out right now.  I think I'd be happier at Gtown, my quality of life would be better, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'd eventually regret not attending Penn.

go with your gut feeling! i did that with UG and chose a lower ranked school - never looked back. Trust me, a few years go by, and you won't even think about Penn anymore. They're both T14, and the rest is gravy.

good luck!!