Law School Discussion

BC vs. BU

Re: BC vs. BU
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »
I posted this question before but I was hoping some more BC 1L could chime in:

I'm from California and I'd like to return to California (S.F. Bay Area) following law school. I went to school on the East Coast so I'm used to the differences in lifestyle, etc. What kind of portability would a BC degree have out West?

Also - how hard is it to get by without a car at BC?

More

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2007, 08:06:33 AM »
To the people with car questions, here's how it's worked for me.

I live in Newton, about a mile north of the law school.  It's not hard at all to find a carpool. When the facebook group springs up this summer, or even meeting people at orientation, you can find friends who live near you and drive.  I drive one person, I have friends who drive three or four.  The answer to the question "do I need a car" is "it's nice, but people do survive without one all the time."

The graduate housing is in Cleveland Circle.  It is indeed apartments leased by BC...the downside, from what I've heard, is it's a little pricey.  You can get similar housing down the street for a couple hundred less a month.

JustALawStudent nailed the stuff about LRRW.  I was a little upset it was graded at first, because I thought of it as sort of a seminar, but it has been a really intense and helpful class.  On top of all the true things said about it, the class is smaller -- your section is split in two and given two different LRRW sections.  You really get to know that Professor, she recommended me for my job this year, so that was great.  The move from paper writing to legal writing is jarring, and it's nice to have such a good program to help you make the move.

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2007, 08:44:32 AM »
HugoBlackisAWESOME:

There have been several comments about getting by without a car, so I am assuming that you are just looking for more anecdotal stories.  Getting by without a car is 100% feasible.  If you don't have a car and/or don't want a car, then you should feel completely comfortable not having one in Boston.  I think it is a personal decision that turns on your perspective.  For example, if you have never been without a car before in your life, then I may recommend that you consider bringing/buying a car for law school.  However, if you haven't had a car for years (as was true in my case) and are used to the joys and evils of public transportation, then you will be fine without a car. 

Additionally, having a car is a large expense...gas, parking permit at school, parking tickets, buying a parking spot, finding an apartment with a parking spot, etc.  If you are looking to cut out some expenses, not having a car is one way to cut costs.

As to the West Coast/California question.  I just want to say upfront that I am not from the West Coast nor are any of close friends at BC.  However, I do know several Californians at BC.  There is a fairly large CA contingency at BC (I don't really understand it myself!) and many of them are friends with one another.  A BC degree is portable.  While getting a job certainly doable, I'd guess that the biggest problem is just the shear distance between BC and California. If you are looking for a large firm job, it will mean flying out to California to do callback interviews.  I don't believe that many CA firms interview on campus, but there may be a job fair for the CA market (job fairs are where BC and some other law schools hold a fair in different locations around the country, essentially hoping to attract more employers to interview since they don't have to come all the way to BC's campus).  Can't really give you anymore information, sorry!  If you are determined to go back to CA after law school it shouldn't be a problem for you.  Just be prepared to do much of the work yourself (as opposed to relying on career services or on-campus interviewing).

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2007, 09:04:01 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on living downtown, like South End or Back Bay? I have a non-law school friend I'd like to live with but I don't want to isolate myself by living farther away from everone else. Also, I've heard mixed reviews on living with a non-law school friend to begin with... current students have any advice?

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2007, 09:28:24 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on living downtown, like South End or Back Bay? I have a non-law school friend I'd like to live with but I don't want to isolate myself by living farther away from everone else. Also, I've heard mixed reviews on living with a non-law school friend to begin with... current students have any advice?

Do not live downtown (your 1st year).  While the city is close enough to go out for dinner or to the bars on the weekend, it is not close enough for an enjoyable commute every day.  You are talking between 30 minutes to an hour of commute time (depending on traffic if driving and where exactly you live).  First year, your time is too valuable to spend on transportation.   Plus, it will isolate you as a lot of law students live a lot closer and go out at night in that area (Brighton/Allston).  Fenway area or Coolidge Corner might be a good compromise between school and downtown.

I have friends that live with non-law students and friends who live with other law students.  All seem to be pretty happy with their situation.   Personally, I think it is fine to live with non-law students, but I personally would stick with only those in graduate school.   Non-law school friends in UG or in the working world have a lot more free time at night, and might be too much of a distraction when they want to have friends over on a weekday, watch tv, play music really loud, etc.  You know your friend better than I do, so just think about whether it is someone who would be respectful of your quite study needs on weeknights.   If so, then go for it.

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2007, 10:23:13 AM »
allisonb: You may also want to consider Cambridge/Somerville/Watertown. it's about a 15-20 minute drive to the BC Newton campus, probably closer than if you were downtown (less traffic, less lights, etc).. while you'll still have the isolation from alot of law students like Stuje1 says, Cambridge/Somerville and Watertonw do offer a somewhat affordable alternative if you won't want to be in Allston/Brighton/Newton.

More

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2007, 11:25:22 AM »
[sorry to anyone who saw my memo notes here...that's what i get for writing notepad posts in class  :o]

I live on the border of Newton and Watertown, about a mile away from school.  Yes, I like having a car to run errands and get groceries.  However, when there are bar reviews downtown, I take the 57 bus down, or even one of the express buses from Newton.  Transportation downtown has definitely been tough, but it's not undoable from here.

My dream spot from next year is between Brighton Center and Comm Ave -- close to school, walkable to the bus, walkable to the T...it will be glorious.

I had this same law student/non-student debate last year.  I disagree about them needing to be grad students.  I live with four young professionals and I love it -- they're home in the evening cooking dinner and watching Seinfeld, and I can come home and do that with them, and during reading period they're gone during the day, so I can study at home, or maybe one will want to play a video game real quick before we go out the door in the morning.  It's been perfect, a person with a job is very structured and that's nice to have.  BUT, I knew these people, and that they were totally chill.  The craziest thing that happens at my house is an intense game of Goldeneye -- and even then, never after 11pm, haha.  It just matters on what you want and how well you know the people, just like living with anyone.

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2007, 12:09:54 PM »
Can any BC/BU students comment on the level of competitiveness at each school? I've been hearing a lot about intense competition at BU. When asked, even my BU tour guide last week said, "Yea, we're competitive. Especially my year. The 3Ls think we're psychotic". While I expect every law school will have some level of competition, I am concerned that it might be stifling/unhealthy at BU.

« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »
it depends on who you ask i guess.  i have asked 5 different BU students at the school and all of them told me BU is not very competitive except for the occasional gunner you get at every school...

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2007, 03:19:39 PM »
ha, maybe one of the gunners was the tour guide...

anyway, when i visited BU, the students i spoke with also told me that the school is not that competitive, although they did mention it gets a little more intense during the OCI period for the 2Ls...that might be true at any school, however. 

actually, the only place i've heard that BU is competitive is on LSD...any BU students around to chime in?