Law School Discussion

BC vs. BU

mgs

BC vs. BU
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »
Ok, I know there are tons of threads on this topic already, but I think the new 2008 rankings warrant another.  In past threads, several people have recommended BC over BU, but I haven't found anyone who recommends BU over BC.  I understand that BC has been the better school in the past, but having looked at the new rankings, BU is on the rise (while BC continues to fall behind). 

While I'm certainly not basing my decision entirely (or even mostly) on rankings, prestige is certainly a factor.  And I know BC's prestige isn't going away any time soon, even if it is slipping in the rankings.

Is anyone else struggling with this decision?  I'd love to hear more thoughts!

Re: BC vs. BU
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »
with all the "big" factors being more-or-less equal (placement, relative ranking, etc), i think that "soft" factors are going to make more of a difference in the decision.. for me thats going to be aid money, commute method and distance (T or bike to BU or car to BC), interesting available courses, etc. of course, $$ will probably have more of an influence than the other factors..

honestly, i don't think you're going to go wrong with either school.. it's where you'll feel happier or more comfortable..

mgs

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 03:05:12 PM »
I see you were also accepted to GW.  Have you ruled GW out?  I'm still waiting to hear from them, but I don't expect to get in.  So I'll probably have to decide between BU and BC.  Hopefully my visit in April will produce a clear choice!

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 03:23:59 PM »
If i'm going to move to DC from Boston, i would pick G'town over GW.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »
Just my two cents, but I've gotten into both schools and received identical aid packages. In this case I think BC has the edge due to prestige. Especially in Boston BC is regarded as the next best school after Harvard. It must be remembered that BU has only recently started to rise in the rankings while BC has been a top school for decades. This adds up to alot of alumni support in high places throughout the Boston community. I don't know about other cities, but BC has a long standing of producing top lawyers. This isn't something that just goes away. I don't know how much stock I put in US News and World Report because they don't factor job prospects as much as they should. Look at W&L for example. Clearly BC gives an individual a better chance of entering a high paying market at a big firm but W&L is higher in the rankings. I know there are other factors to consider and the two schools are almost identical, but I'm leaning towards BC due to prestige, location (BU Law School Building is hot and ugly), and slightly better job options in Boston. I hope this helps!

mgs

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:44:41 PM »
You definitely bring up a good point in mentioning alumni support. 

Does anyone have an idea of job prospects in DC coming out of either BU or BC? 

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »
BU and BC work together a great deal when it comes to the major legal markets ... I know they do a joint job fair in NYC and I believe they do the same thing with a few other schools in DC (UT I believe is also involved in this) so you probably wont get as much OCI attention from DC firms if you aren't top 1/3 but you can still shop your degree nicely in DC.

This rankings thing has given me somewhat of a pause in my gung-ho BC thought process.  I was actually ready to withdraw form BU (I also have matching aid packages from both, which is annoying because it is hard to ask for more from either school.)

Today I was reading the original leaked rankings thread, someone pointed out that NYU is already calling themselves "the best law school in NY" onthe wikipedia page (there is a point to this story I promise) ... what they cited for the rankings was the concurring opinions blog, and in the comments there was a BU2L who said something to the tune of "wow, BU is still that high ... it makes me happy, but it is kind of unbelievable"

I am, however, somewhat concerned with the BC at-graduation employment rate.  BC kids seem to think it is because of the CSO's lack of attention to those who want out of boston but aren't top third.  But then again i have seen BU kinds gripe about their CSO on LSD plenty.

I don't think I'm going to let this rankings thing steer me away from BC (and yeah I have GW to consider as well, but I haven't been offered any money and won't go there full price) but I kind of want to at least visit BU.  Don't know if i'll have the time.

mgs

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
Another factor I've considered...I've heard BU has grade deflation.  I saw on another discussion website that their grades go A, A-, B, B- (and so on, without any + grades).  Can anyone verify this? 

This is just a concern in terms of being compared to other students when finding a job.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »
I visited Boston for the first time last week in order to look at both of these schools.  After a week in Boston, I have definitely decided to go to BU over BC (and Duke).  For me it came down to two important things.

1) BU professors really impressed me in their approachability, speaking skills, and the mock class I went to was great.  The dean said how BU gives a lot more weight to teaching ability when hiring profs then do most schools (since rankings of faculty only take into account scholarly impact)

2) The students I met there (both prospective and current) seemed really laid back, which goes right along with who I want to spend the next 3 years of my life with.

Both of these factors were a little lacking in my visit to BC.  That is not to say the professors were idiots and BC students were assholes, I just wasn't as impressed. (BC is still a very good school IMO)

Other factors:

The CSO is staffed by former Harvard CSO staff, so they gots the hookup, and the students I talked to said they have been helpful.  They seemed to emphasize an individually-tailored job search and have fairly good national reach (met one kid going to DC, one going to Chicago, one going to Atlanta, and one going to San Fran).

I also like the location (being right next to the Charles and back bay/downtown).  The spread out noncampus doesn't really bother me since I have already had the campus ra-ra experience in undergrad.  The building is bad-looking, but I think it has sort of a charm in like a downtrodden-everyone-makes-fun-of-it way, and it is the tallest law building in the US (for whatever that's worth).

Also I like the trend of BU going up in the rankings, cutting their class size, new facilities in the works, and new dean who is kicking ass.  By the time I am out of BU and further down the road, I anticipate its prestige to be even better.
(just hired two new very good profs http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2007/03/fleming_fordham.html)

Oh and I am not going to Duke because I could give half a *&^% about selling my life to a big law firm for a couple extra tens of thousands of dollars, and the city of Boston seems like a much better place to spend three young years of my life than Durham (no offense to Durham).

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:08:21 PM »
so thrilled to finally be hearing positive things about BU - it seems like it gets trashed on this board all the time. i'll be there in the fall and could not be more excited about it!