Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine Help  (Read 951 times)

stardustinmyveins

• View Profile
Pepperdine Help
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »
I got a full ride to Pepperdine, and, considering UCLA isn't coughing up anything as far as I can tell, I'm hoping someone can help me with the former!

I'm not really Christian, so what's the environment like? (not too conservative in my views, either)
Is it really that difficult for PU students to find jobs? I'm assuming it'll be like at almost any school-be in the top percent or so, and you're in a pretty good position.

I'm really hoping I won't regret my decision to go. But the full scholarship is too good to pass up!

ipeeintheshower

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pepperdine Help
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:12:27 PM »
I will be heading to Pepperdine this coming fall as well.  My undergrad was at Harding University, which is a pretty conservative christian school.

Pepperdine is a christian school but I doubt that half of the students there know it.  There is no alcohol allowed in any of the dorms but I'm really not sure how strictly this is enforced. 

Pepperdine does its best to attract moral, christian students and faculty but I doubt that you will have any problem fitting in.  No one is going to force their religion on you.

See you in the fall.

LizA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:49:31 PM »
I attend Pepperdine and it does feel conservative in some respects, like i've never come across so many engaged or married 23 year-olds (but maybe it's more common than i think), and I hear people talk about God and prayer probably more often than I would elsewhere but at the same time there are people who don't seem to care about that at all....except if you live in the dorms you can't have alcohol or overnight guests of the opposite sex (or at least you're not supposed to). Honestly, I don't think you'll feel the christian influence that much if you don't care to.

StevenWiess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »
I am sorry but I REALLY THINK you should pick UCLA over Pepperdine regardless of the money involved.  UCLA will open many more doors for in the future.  If you were comparing Loyola with Pepperdine, then we'd have an issue, but UCLA is a school that's on a completely different level of prestige.  Take UCLA; this is a no brainer, sorry!

Plus tuition at UCLA isn't bad at all--

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:28:04 PM »
I am sorry but I REALLY THINK you should pick UCLA over Pepperdine regardless of the money involved.  UCLA will open many more doors for in the future.  If you were comparing Loyola with Pepperdine, then we'd have an issue, but UCLA is a school that's on a completely different level of prestige.  Take UCLA; this is a no brainer, sorry!

TITCR.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »

TITCR.

seconded
Columbia 3L

AaronRCheng

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 03:20:08 AM »
I'm finishing up my first year a Loyola.  When I was deciding schools, it was really a toss up between Pepperdine, Loyola, and San Diego.  I really didn't like the environment at Pepperdine.  Granted it was set on probably the nicest piece of real estate in Southern California, the facilities are dated and its really segregated from the "legal market" in Downtown, Century City, and West Los Angeles.

In terms of conservative... well, Ken Starr is the dean.  I got to meet him during the school visit, and although he is a very influential person, he is about as die-hard conservative as they come.  The Christian overtones are abudant, but they won't force feed any of it to you if you don't want it.

After having interviewed at a number of places for this summer, listened in on employment panels, and meeting students from all Southern California law schools, I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY urge you to go to the best school you can... especially when we're talking Pepperdine vs. UCLA.  Your salary and employment prospects will more than make up for the difference in scholarship.  More importantly, the type of talent you will be surrounded with at UCLA will be your biggest asset - we're talking about classmates and friends who will place in the top law firms in the country.  That is something you WILL NOT find at Pepperdine.

Moreover, scholarships are typically renewed on your ability to stay in the top 10-30% of your class.  Although you may feel that "Hey, I got into UCLA, I'll be at the top 10% of my class," keep in mind that Law School is an ENTIRELY new ball game.  I know people who came into Loyola who were admitted to Davis and Hastings and they are struggling to maintain their position in the top 50%.  The caliber of intellect and the rigors of the study is really not something worth gambling over.  Go to UCLA, take the student loans and bite the bullet.  You will NOT regret it.  Cheers

Aaorn
Loyola it is... and damn happy about it

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 03:30:26 AM »
I'm finishing up my first year a Loyola.  When I was deciding schools, it was really a toss up between Pepperdine, Loyola, and San Diego.  I really didn't like the environment at Pepperdine.  Granted it was set on probably the nicest piece of real estate in Southern California, the facilities are dated and its really segregated from the "legal market" in Downtown, Century City, and West Los Angeles.

In terms of conservative... well, Ken Starr is the dean.  I got to meet him during the school visit, and although he is a very influential person, he is about as die-hard conservative as they come.  The Christian overtones are abudant, but they won't force feed any of it to you if you don't want it.

After having interviewed at a number of places for this summer, listened in on employment panels, and meeting students from all Southern California law schools, I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY urge you to go to the best school you can... especially when we're talking Pepperdine vs. UCLA.  Your salary and employment prospects will more than make up for the difference in scholarship.  More importantly, the type of talent you will be surrounded with at UCLA will be your biggest asset - we're talking about classmates and friends who will place in the top law firms in the country.  That is something you WILL NOT find at Pepperdine.

Moreover, scholarships are typically renewed on your ability to stay in the top 10-30% of your class.  Although you may feel that "Hey, I got into UCLA, I'll be at the top 10% of my class," keep in mind that Law School is an ENTIRELY new ball game.  I know people who came into Loyola who were admitted to Davis and Hastings and they are struggling to maintain their position in the top 50%.  The caliber of intellect and the rigors of the study is really not something worth gambling over.  Go to UCLA, take the student loans and bite the bullet.  You will NOT regret it.  Cheers

Aaorn

I agree with what you are saying in this instance but now I have a question of my own. Would it be wise to choose the University of the Pacific - McGeorge over Loyola or USD? McGeorge is offering a scholarship and I genuinely like the school, the area, and what they have to offer. Are there any valid reasons for choosing a lower ranked school? I know that the OP would be a fool to choose Pepperdine over UCLA but it seems that choosing McGeorge over Loyola (ranked 66) or USD (ranked 85) is not the same. I would greatly value your input on this since I have read many of your posts and know that your brother goes to McGeorge.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN