Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings class of 2010  (Read 15194 times)

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings class of 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 04:38:52 PM »
Le tag. I'll participate in the thread when the dialog degrades to d-ick jokes and lolz.

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »
Anyone going to the Admitted Students Day tomorrow? I can't make it because the dog is getting his rabies booster shot.  :-\

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »
I'm going - anyone else?

You should post your experience on this thread afterwards! Or I can just PM you or whatever-- I'd really like to hear how it goes.

moohead

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »
hey all, newbie here. i'm going to the second asd at hastings. i had no idea law school message boards existed. should i be prepared to get addicted?

ODA-574

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 11:49:52 PM »
Hi, I went to the Hastings alumni reception in SD, it was pretty good. I can't make it there on Saturday, but I'm going to try to be at the April one.

ishi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 12:15:47 PM »
I'm going - anyone else?

You should post your experience on this thread afterwards! Or I can just PM you or whatever-- I'd really like to hear how it goes.

Will do.  ;)

hey pugalicious,  how was the ASD??  I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the one on 4/14.. thanks.

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 02:36:42 AM »
My review of Hastings Admitted Students' Day

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here represent my personal experience and should be taken as such. I would recommend everyone visit this and any schools they are considering and form their own opinion. I am only posting this because a few people asked me to - this should not act as a substitute for visiting the school yourself.

The schedule of the day was as follows:
9:30-9:50 Registration and refreshments: yummy coffee, fresh fruit and some pastries

9:55-10:15 Welcome by the Dean of Admissions, Chancellor and Dean, and President of student organization

Concurrent sessions (pick two – the ones I attended are bold)

10:20 – 11:00 Session 1
1.   Financial Aid Presentation
2.   Career Services Presentation  - I am glad I went to this, it was helpful. What I liked is that their career services people seem to focus on finding the right fit for you as opposed to trying to steer you into BIGLAW or something that doesn’t fit with your values. Also found out that OCI is 75% pre-screen, 25% lottery.
3.   Student’s Guide to Housing

11:05 – 11:45 Session 2
    Repeat of above sessions, I went to the financial aid presentation. It was pretty basic info, and in retrospect I wish I would have gone to the housing one instead. Good for people who have no clue about Financial Aid. Also, Hastings has a great LRAP program for those who go into public interest law.

12:00 – 1:00 Lunch with UC Hastings Students
   We walked down the street to Lalita’s Thai restaurant where there was a buffet setup. I enjoyed being able to talk to current students in a more relaxed setting. Very nice.

1:15 – 2:15 Panel of 3 professors
   The 3 different professors briefly spoke about Hastings and about their own fields of study. They were all very likeable and interesting – seemed easily accessible and not intimidating. They also answered questions.

2:15 – 3:00 Student Guided Tours of Campus
   We got to tour the entire 198 building, but the newly renovated building isn’t open yet! The current facilities leave much to be desired – I was not really impressed with the computer lab (small-ish), the library or the non-existent cafeteria BUT they are opening up the new building soon so it will all be open for incoming students. So I wouldn’t base my decision on the facilities, since the newly renovated building will house an all new library and full service cafeteria.
   We also saw  The Tower, the building which houses many Hastings students. It is pretty old, but I was pleasantly surprised. The apartments have nice views of the city and are right next to the law school so you can literally roll out of bed and go to class. The only thing that sucks about living in the Tower, from what I have been told, is that the elevators are slow (there are only 3 of them, and one only goes to the 13th floor). Also because it is in the Tenderloin (read: sketchy) area of SF, when you come home from going out at night you are coming back to a bad area. But the residents say the security guards are very good and it is a safe place to live.
   There is also a fitness room inside of the Tower and a basketball court downstairs. On the 24th floor there is an art-deco style Skyroom with amazing views of SF.

2:30-4:00 Reception in the Skyroom. This was basically a chance to eat more food and linger, talk to current students, whatever.

Overall, I liked what I saw. Here is a re-cap

Good:
-   friendly atmosphere
-   -non-intimidating faculty and administration
-   values-centered career services
-   San Francisco in general!!
-   Proximity to courts – just down the street!
-   Larger size = more opportunities (more journals, courses, etc)
-   Convenient housing at the Tower

Not so good:
-   Current students agree that it is super competitive, tough curve, Socratic method is used
-   Bigger student body size may be seen as a disadvantage by some
-   Facilities not that impressive
-   Tenderloin = scary area
-   A few of the students I talked to seemed like they had an inferiority complex – they got really defensive when I asked about Hastings’ national reputation. I didn’t like the defensive vibe and the constant need to defend against Boalt and Stanford.

I hope this helps people. I didn’t speak to the rankings or stuff like job placement because you can get that info elsewhere. This is just my $0.02 and I hope that it is useful.
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 12:24:39 PM »
Hopefully people on this board like credo are indicative that not all the students have a complex as such.

And I assure you that the Tenderloin is bad only relatively speaking. Soon you'll enjoy saying good morning to your friendly local crack head on your way to class, then softly chuckle to yourself after you pass.

ishi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
Thanks for the info pugalicious.  Very helpful.

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 08:15:31 PM »
Hopefully people on this board like credo are indicative that not all the students have a complex as such.

And I assure you that the Tenderloin is bad only relatively speaking. Soon you'll enjoy saying good morning to your friendly local crack head on your way to class, then softly chuckle to yourself after you pass.

Most definitely.
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack