Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings class of 2010  (Read 15379 times)

Outwest

• View Profile
Hastings class of 2010
« on: March 28, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »
Hastings is a second choice for a lot of people.  After feeling disappointed about the w/l from Berkeley, I had to come to terms with Hastings.  Once I got over the "inferior" ranking –which some say will improve– I realized what a gem Hastings really is.  My reasons for loving Hastings are often grounds for other poster's criticisms.  I never liked college towns and prefer rolling urban.  Whenever people criticize the TL as being a *&^% hole, I can't help but get more excited about meeting people who enjoy that part of the city as much as I do.  Large class size=more diverse and dynamic student body IMHO.  Public service opportunities and west coast contacts abound.  As much as Boalt would have been a great academic experience, I am more excited kicking it in the TL and the participating in the PI clinical opportunities afforded by Hastings.  Hastings is not for everybody.  I just wanted to start a dialogue for people who are as excited about Hastings as moi.  See some of you there.   

ishi

• View Profile
Re: Hastings class of 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:15:06 PM »
Hastings is a second choice for a lot of people.  After feeling disappointed about the w/l from Berkeley, I had to come to terms with Hastings.  Once I got over the "inferior" ranking –which some say will improve– I realized what a gem Hastings really is.  My reasons for loving Hastings are often grounds for other poster's criticisms.  I never liked college towns and prefer rolling urban.  Whenever people criticize the TL as being a sh*t hole, I can't help but get more excited about meeting people who enjoy that part of the city as much as I do.  Large class size=more diverse and dynamic student body IMHO.  Public service opportunities and west coast contacts abound.  As much as Boalt would have been a great academic experience, I am more excited kicking it in the TL and the participating in the PI clinical opportunities afforded by Hastings.  Hastings is not for everybody.  I just wanted to start a dialogue for people who are as excited about Hastings as moi.  See some of you there.   
I'm pretty excited about Hastings, but not so much about the 'loin.  I've lived on the perimeter of the 'loin in the past, and the destitution really can get to you after a while.  So I'm going to stay in the East Bay and take the 30-minute BART ride.  But I realize that some people thrive in that type of environment.  Are you going to stay in the tower?  I checked it out a couple weeks ago and it seems pretty nice, although I didn't get to see any of the apartments.

mistaken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:29:56 PM »
the great thing about people is their ability to adapt and rationalize their decisions. this isn't a bad thing, its a good one. some people convince themselves that they like bad neighborhoods, or large impersonal classes, in the same way that others convince themselves that moving to an area with bad weather would be a good 4-season experience, or that a small crappy town would be seeing a different side of America, or that choosing a lower ranked school over a higher one is better because you will be able to do better compared to your class. Point is, you can explain "rationally" any decision that you make, but as long as you're happy about where you're going, the rest isn't important.
Re: the tower, the apartments aren't nice. You can't beat the distance from school, and the price isn't bad at all. they're better than most UG dorms that I've seen, and are surprisingly spacious, but the tower is quite old, and the apartments are not wonderfully kept. Expect a small kitchenette and run down bathroom. other than that its probably not a bad deal. security keeps the scaries from the street from knocking on your door at night too, which is a plus at the TL.

uscmeche

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »
I am excited about Hastings. I feel that after the construction is done, the school will have a lot more space than it does currently, and Dean Newton seems to care about improving the school. I just sent my seat deposit in today. See you all in the fall, or summer since orientation is in August!  ;)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:18 PM »
DO IT TJ DO IT
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 09:54:47 PM »
NO MONEY FUCKER

>:(
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:06:22 PM »
NO MONEY FUCKER

>:(

While UC Hastings is near perfect in all other ways (just waiting for the library to be renovated), this is one unfortunate drawback. Don't they have pity loans or scholarships for Canadians trapped in a country that does not have UC Hastings?

Apparently, UC Hastings is the new (and benevolent) Chuck Norris.

Outwest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 02:24:55 AM »
the great thing about people is their ability to adapt and rationalize their decisions.

Trite. Preachy.  Awful.  Are you going to Hastings?  I hope you aren't in my lwr section. 

mistaken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:24:07 PM »
Don't worry about having to deal with me at Hastings, even if we are in the same section, there'll be like 120 people in our section so we probably won't know each other. Don't freak out, its Hastings dude, no one knows anyone!

mistaken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 03:24:26 PM »
Or in competitiveness for that matter.