Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Barring Acceptance Craziness My Cycle is Over...And I'm not going...  (Read 1240 times)

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Well out of 18 applications I've only pulled out three acceptances... Northeastern, DePaul, and Washington & Lee.

After the cycle started I discovered a large desire to have the Seattle market open to me post-graduation. Given that this is the case, I have withdrawn from Northeastern and DePaul and requested defferal at W&L. I'm pretty bummed that I probably won't be going this year, but I'm so confused in general that it doesn't make sense to take on this kind of debt load unless I feel pretty good about things... Which I don't with my current choices  :-[
In: W&L, DePaul, NEU, Seattle, BC($$$)
Not Not In: GW, Cornell,American, UVA, Vandy
Not In: UW, ND, HLS, UMich, Chicago,  Yale, G-Town, Duke

LSN

Blog[/url

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
Re: Barring Acceptance Craziness My Cycle is Over...And I'm not going...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:21:45 AM »
i think yo're doing a smart thing and I commend you for it.

its a hard thing to do, postpone your dreams for a year, but good luck next cycle and lsd will still be here to help you....or haunt you...whatever.

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 02:12:12 AM »
Thanks,

I just haven't gotten any surer about the whole process since I started, in fact, I've become less so. I've got a good job in a solid small entrepreneurial company, it doesn't make sense to bail on that opportunity to take on upwards of 90k in debt unless I could have the opportunities I wanted after I was done.

I really do appreciate the kind words, takes a little of the sting out.

LSN

Blog[/url

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:50:48 AM »
I think you are totally right to not go into something you dont feel right about, just because that's what you've been planning. I am impressed by your ability to adapt to a situation! Best of luck next cycle!!  And keep your chin up. :)

Clipse

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strictly Bathing Ape, Ice Cream, and BBC rocker...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:52:15 AM »
Well out of 18 applications I've only pulled out three acceptances... Northeastern, DePaul, and Washington & Lee.

After the cycle started I discovered a large desire to have the Seattle market open to me post-graduation. Given that this is the case, I have withdrawn from Northeastern and DePaul and requested defferal at W&L. I'm pretty bummed that I probably won't be going this year, but I'm so confused in general that it doesn't make sense to take on this kind of debt load unless I feel pretty good about things... Which I don't with my current choices  :-[

Come to Seattle and work for a year and apply again. I've got the same stats in state and got in. Good luck next cycle.
LSN
“We rich, we get the best judicial advice” (In): BU, Loyola, UC-H, GW, UW
“So heartbreakin, like lovin a whore” (Out): GULC, M, D, V
 “Feels like kids and cake mix, can't wait to lick the bowl” (WL): BC, USC, AU, UCLA, W&M

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:12:11 PM »
Thanks all, you have pretty much echoed the plans I am working on, just need to iron out some lumps...

I am on my second year of WE now, I am working up plans to get to the Seattle area, problem is I have already switched jobs once within my first two years out (company shut down). If I move around too quick now I risk becoming a "job hopper" in the eyes of the HR nazis. And since I'm not 100% on law (or any other course for that matter) its not super-prudent to take that risk, though if there was a compelling enough reason I would do it for sure. Plus the company I work for here has some definite potential, I just hate this town. Its time to come up with a new hyper-optimal plan for the next year or so...

Ideally I will be able to convince my current employer to let me work remotely from the Seattle area...I'm thinking there is about a 50/50 chance on that... We shall see

LSN

Blog[/url

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 09:11:20 PM »
Since you seem to have your heart set on Washington...  why dont you make an appointment  to speak w/the admissions director AFTER this cycle is over.  You could probably get valuable insight into what they are looking for in applicants and what you can do to secure a spot for yourself in an upcoming cycle.
2L

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:22:22 PM »
Man, I've never seen anyone so bummed about being waitlisted at an Ivy League school (Cornell).  Nonetheless, I think it takes a lot of courage to do what you're doing, and I wish you the best of luck.

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 11:41:53 PM »
kirpsie -- I've enjoyed having you around and I hope you'll continue to post.

I agree with the consensus that you should go to law school where and when you feel happy to go. Good luck.

Oh I'll be around, the anecdotal info here is invaluable, and the people are pretty nice too  :D

Since you seem to have your heart set on Washington...  why dont you make an appointment  to speak w/the admissions director AFTER this cycle is over.  You could probably get valuable insight into what they are looking for in applicants and what you can do to secure a spot for yourself in an upcoming cycle.

That's exactly what I am planning to do, they start taking appointments after either April 1 or May 1 depending on whether you believe the admin in the admissions office, or the text of the ding letter.

Man, I've never seen anyone so bummed about being waitlisted at an Ivy League school (Cornell).  Nonetheless, I think it takes a lot of courage to do what you're doing, and I wish you the best of luck.

It's not so much the Cornell WL as the whole process. It did not pan out how I hoped or expected and I don't really have what I consider to be a good option to attend right now. I don't want to just rush in to school when it doesn't really hurt me to wait a year and get my finances and head in order and try to better my applications, i.e. retake LSAT, potentially sit for the patent bar. And hell, who knows what will happen in the intervening year, maybe I'll win the lotto  ::)

And who knows...my Yale acceptance might show up in the mail tomorrow :P

LSN

Blog[/url

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:27:38 PM »
Ha. I'm still voting for you to tell them they were wrong & it's time to let you in already.
BTW...I love your blog...ask them to reconsider their decision...because I've seen a lot of kids walking around here that could use some more humor in their lives... :D