Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school loner?  (Read 3127 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Law school loner?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 04:18:46 PM »
Its mostly just internet people on this website.  You can't let nameless, faceless internet people make you feel one way or another.  Go to law school and relate to actual law students.  People just act like jackasses on internet forums because they can.  Just roll with it.

Except me.  I really am a jackass.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »
Its mostly just internet people on this website.  You can't let nameless, faceless internet people make you feel one way or another.  Go to law school and relate to actual law students.  People just act like jackasses on internet forums because they can.  Just roll with it.

only sometimes.  you actually gave some good advice in our thread.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 04:32:29 PM »

Actually, I give good advice on LSD fairly often.  At least, I think it's good advice.  But I troll more often.

In any case, I was speaking of IRL. 
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »

Actually, I give good advice on LSD fairly often.  At least, I think it's good advice.  But I troll more often.

In any case, I was speaking of IRL. 

i'm pretty much the same here as i am irl.  too old and beat up to fake it any more  :P

JD

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 05:02:19 PM »
Ditto.  Except for the old part.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »
Ditto.  Except for the old part.

now we've gone and scared the noobs away.

we seem to take over threads like an evil virus.

heh heh.

JD

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 11:30:22 PM »
Rev - I've seen in other spots that you regret going to LS. Why's that? Any advice for those who still intend on going?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »
Rev - I've seen in other spots that you regret going to LS. Why's that? Any advice for those who still intend on going?

some days i regret it and some days i dont.  i think my reasons are personal, and probably not indicative of the student body as a whole, but here they are:

1)  i busted my ass and still barely finished in the top half of the class.  granted, i've been out of school for over ten years, but still.  part of this had to do with all the marbles being on one 3 hour test at the end of the semester, consisting of maybe three essay questions.  it wasnt that i didnt know the material -- it was all in my writing style, according to the profs.

2)  a lot of the material is stuff that i am not and never will be interested in.  its flat out boring.  i dont bore well.

3)  i expected to be taught that "the law is....." and that is not the case.  the law is whatever the judge decides its going to be that particular day, based on his/her interpretation of case law, common law, or vague statutory authority.  its very frustrating. 

4)  i'm used to being an expert in my field.  i dont like being at the apprentice level again.  i'm also used to living in a nice house and having at least some disposable income.

5)  i miss my dogs.

6)  as an older student, i have been told that i intimidate interviewers; who are also somewhat uncomfortable with both my age and the fact that i went to seminary.  also, i'm not a hometown boy in a small legal community.  ergo, no summer or fall job lined up yet when less qualified classmates are already set.

7)  i am somewhat concerned with my ability to find a job after graduation.  i am not inclined to spend another 50k and sacrifice two years of earning power on the chance that nobody will hire a almost-50 year old.  sad but true.

8)  i'm still busting my ass this semester (i promised myself i would give it my best effort for a year) and the prospect of hard work /=/ a good return is depressing.

9)  i'm not at all sure i want to practice law.  the only law i appear to be interested in doesnt pay squat.  corporate or transactional law looks mind-numbingly boring.  i dont want to trade the remaining years of my work life for something i cant be passionate about.

advice:  if you're a student of average age (25) it probably isnt going to matter that much.  a jd will be helpful whether you intend to practice law or not.  if youre older, i would think carefully about what youre trading for law school.  i thought carefully, and i'm still not sure if i want to complete my program.  its not because i cant do it (i know i can finish in top half and pass the bar) but its because i may not want to do it.

hope that helped a little.

JD

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 10:22:24 AM »
Thanks, Rev, yes! I'm a 35-year old non-trad. But, the school I'm going to is much more age diverse and is in an area where I have tons of contacts. I'll be commuting about an hour each way/each day but if I need to crash I can at my mom's or other family in the LS city.  God, who would have thought at this age that I would still have a room at my parents? My husband is laughing his a%# off!

I appreciate your perspective and can identify with a lot. It was some great insight!

sweet beans

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »
Your feelings are a sign of weakness. Potential employers/your law student peers will sense and exploit this.

Consider guidance counseling as a vocational path.

Thanks for the unsolicited and uninformed advice but I think I'll stick with law. I also figured it wouldn't take long for someone to post an example of exactly what I'm talking about, so thanks again.