Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: honors thesis  (Read 1010 times)

mets2007

• View Profile
Re: honors thesis
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
Waste of time IMO...but that is just me...I am just trying keep a B average this last semester

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »
i have at least 100 pages to write in the coming weeks and may, depending on this and that, approach both the college of law and honor's program and say, "hey, is it cool if i withdraw from the course?  (it's not really a class, but a pedagogical status that facilitates the thesis at my school.) i want to give this puppy the attention it deserves and hope to turn it into a notable manuscript during the next four or five years.  you know i'm good for it!"

it seems perfectly acceptable, but maybe i am missing stuff?
Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 02:27:05 PM »
I'm supposed to be writing an honors thesis this semester.  Needless to say, progress has been slow.  Is there any possible way NOT graduating with honors will hurt me? I guess it could be bad for coming off waitlists, but so far I've been accepted to 3 schools I'd love to go to, and have yet to hear from 3 reachy ones, but I'm not on any waitlists (yet).  Is there any chance a school could rescind my acceptance because I didn't graduate with honors as I planned to when I applied?

lol. no way dude. btw, I can commiserate. I have a ~100 page thesis due may 1, and I have written exactly zero pages. so so so screwed.

I wrote a 100 page thesis in a month my senior year, but by the end of that month, I considered daily sleep and showering luxuries and not necessities.  It can be done.

Can we turn this into a pissing contest?  ;D I wrote my 139 pager in 6 days, 46 on the last day. Now, albeit I had done research for a while, but I stopped eating and turned to nicotine, caffeine and Easy Mac. It, uh, wasn't a good idea.
'10

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 02:48:37 PM »
It seems that graduating the regular way is a piece of cake compared to the vast amount of work required for 100 page honor's thesis.

It HAS to matter at least a little.....

Ted Buckland, ESQ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Leverage??... Torts??...Ruth Bader who???
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »
The only practical use of an honors thesis I can see is it becoming a solid "writing sample" that you can provide to future employers. But then again the 100 page thesis' render that impossible. Otherwise graduating with 'honors' or otherwise from UG is close to being as irrelevant a thing for your career as I can think of.

The Professor of Parody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 03:15:10 PM »
I'm personally pretty happy that I didn't give up on my honors thesis (70 pages written in about three weeks). It doesn't have a whole lot of instrumental benefit (although "with honors" is something that stays on your resume long after your GPA has been forgotten), but it was a bit of a personal milestone. I now know that I can in fact write a whole lot very quickly, so long law school papers aren't quite so intimidating as they'd probably otherwise be.

jadecrane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 03:15:53 PM »
I think that having summa cum laude on your resume says something. At least at my school unless you write a senior thesis you can only graduate magna even with a 4.0.
SLS 2011 (1 yr deferral)

ShaneFloppier

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 03:44:15 PM »
I think for some people, like myself, it serves as a personal quest to test your academic durability and effort.  Its like running a marathon.  Sure, all you are doing is just running for a long time.  Its not like you are doing something useful to mankind like difusing a bomb with a bubble gum wrapper like MacGyver.  But, you are testing the limits of your own dedication and ability, which can set a foundation for future success.  I would think anyone who completed such a rigorous academic exercise would be sufficiently impressed with someone else who undertook the same challenge.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 03:52:24 PM »
Also, for those of us thinking about academia or further grad school study, the UG thesis can be a good start towards your grad thesis. If one so chooses.  Or it can be a lesson in what NOT to write about for your grad thesis.  Eitherway, I have learned of a ton about my thesis topic and that actually has to do with cause lawyering and community organizing, so I could actually take that knowledge to my career if I go public interest.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10