Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2008 Rankings T100, T3, T4  (Read 58964 times)

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Rankings T100, T3, T4
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »
tag
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

George Sr.

• I have the worst f-cking attorneys
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2007, 12:21:42 AM »
It seems as though people are a bit concerned about BYU.  Not sure if it is just an opportunity to knock a religion that has its peculiar parts or if it is really a big deal.  Regardless, here is a little info on the subject. Last year BYU's admisssions made a very calculated decision to try to raise their LSAT 25/75.  In their efforts they obtained nearly an exact number as the year before.  The failure to raise their LSAT numbers wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't sacrificed their 25/75 for GPA in their attempt, dropping from a 3.73 median to a 3.64 median.  In addition, rather than fill last years class in its entirety they decided to let it stand with 3 vacancies rather than take an additional 3 students off the waitlist that they didn't feel were qualified.  In addition, four of their notable professors took leave last year to teach at other universities as visiting professors.  Their student teacher ratio went down from about 17/1 to 21/1. All of those dropped their index in relation to #1 Yale (The standard to which every school is compared with by USA Today) In reality those mistakes are easily recoverable even though some seem to prefer gloating in BYU's demise.  The fact of the matter is that they do have an incredible library (one of the tops in the nation) and a bottomless pit of financial backing in the form of the Mormon Empire (Worth Billions). To further explain, anyone who knows a mormon knows that they band together.  The JRCLS (J. Rueben Clark Law Society) is not limited to alumni only. Any practicing Mormon attorney can be a part, and there are quite a few mormon attorney's out there. This allows a vast network available to BYU grads that doesn't always exist in the same fashion as other schools.  This combined with an over-aggressive career placement service makes them a real sleeper when it comes to job placement.  So for those who were wondering, this is why BYU is ranked where it has been in the past and most likely will go up again seeing that their mistakes are easily recoverable in regards to their index rating used by USA Today.  I write this simply as an informative post.  I am not selling or defending just explaining.

USA Today? I didn't know anyone but semi-literate troglodytic mouth-breathers read the USA Today. I guess they do have great looking pie-charts for everything.
Look, I just need something to read. Pop-pop gets a Grisham?

KingofNJersey1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »
Just replace the "B" with a "N" and then it's in the top 5. I'm truly a genius.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2007, 09:48:51 PM »
It seems as though people are a bit concerned about BYU.  Not sure if it is just an opportunity to knock a religion that has its peculiar parts or if it is really a big deal.  Regardless, here is a little info on the subject. Last year BYU's admisssions made a very calculated decision to try to raise their LSAT 25/75.  In their efforts they obtained nearly an exact number as the year before.  The failure to raise their LSAT numbers wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't sacrificed their 25/75 for GPA in their attempt, dropping from a 3.73 median to a 3.64 median.  In addition, rather than fill last years class in its entirety they decided to let it stand with 3 vacancies rather than take an additional 3 students off the waitlist that they didn't feel were qualified.  In addition, four of their notable professors took leave last year to teach at other universities as visiting professors.  Their student teacher ratio went down from about 17/1 to 21/1. All of those dropped their index in relation to #1 Yale (The standard to which every school is compared with by USA Today) In reality those mistakes are easily recoverable even though some seem to prefer gloating in BYU's demise.  The fact of the matter is that they do have an incredible library (one of the tops in the nation) and a bottomless pit of financial backing in the form of the Mormon Empire (Worth Billions). To further explain, anyone who knows a mormon knows that they band together.  The JRCLS (J. Rueben Clark Law Society) is not limited to alumni only. Any practicing Mormon attorney can be a part, and there are quite a few mormon attorney's out there. This allows a vast network available to BYU grads that doesn't always exist in the same fashion as other schools.  This combined with an over-aggressive career placement service makes them a real sleeper when it comes to job placement.  So for those who were wondering, this is why BYU is ranked where it has been in the past and most likely will go up again seeing that their mistakes are easily recoverable in regards to their index rating used by USA Today.  I write this simply as an informative post.  I am not selling or defending just explaining.

Easily recoverable?  Not any easier than when Hastings dropped 20+ spots one year because they did not report their data to USNWR.  They still haven't recovered.

tenaciousb

• AOL Instant Messenger - CollegiateError
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2007, 10:31:08 PM »
While I might just be trumping up my own school, I think Loyola New Orleans staying in t3 is impressive given they had to really bend over backwards to drum up admission, as evidenced by the percentage and LSAT scores.
Loyola New Orleans Class of '10

JB OU 2007

• View Profile
Re: 2008 Rankings, TI and T2
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2008, 12:38:39 PM »
can anyone post 3rd and 4th tier---it seems like i can only see the new rankings on usnews for top 100, but not the rest--is there a trick to get the new info for 3rd and 4th tier?

C

BrooklynLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2008, 06:18:06 PM »
what happened to the top 100 rankings?

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »
what happened to the top 100 rankings?