Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2008 Rankings T100, T3, T4  (Read 58599 times)

butter tart

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mmmmmmm!
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Rankings T100, T3, T4
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »
Let the puppying begin!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2007, 09:09:18 AM »
my likely school, smu, dropped 3 to 46 and my second choice, uh, rose from 70 to 60.
very interesting.
i am sitting out a cycle, i wonder if it will change my scholarship offers for next cycle

lawfanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
when do the rankings come out officially? Now I really need to get into Duke because UNC just dropped tons!!!

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »
Tomorrow.
But I've had the 08 version pop up when I checked:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php

But then the 07 version pops up again. Who knows.

When I saw the 08 version, it corresponds exactly to what has been posted earlier in the week.
Air Force JAG Corps

lawfanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
could it be typos? lol

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2007, 06:26:48 PM »
Like FIU: St. Thomas (MN) also debuts on the third tier.  They're really pouring money into this program (last year 44% of their students were on at least 50%tuition scholarships, and 28.5% were on FULL RIDES).  I bet they'll be t2 within a decade (the associated undergrad and business school are ridiculously expensive and they have tons of cash).

Here's the sorted LSAT scores for all of tier threes:

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
Tag

B212bb

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2008 Rankings T100, T3, T4 How should these be "read"???
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2007, 08:59:12 PM »
Alright, so I've seen the new rankings and I'd like to know how I should really read it. I want to stay close to my home (DC/MD), my top choice is UMD but i am on the waitlist. So I got two choices...Villanova (which has remained the same rankings wise) or Catholic which has offered me some money and went up from last year's ranking. Now, although Nova is ranked higher than Catholic, I see that only 61% of grads have jobs upon graduation as opposed to 72% of Catholic grads. The salary range for graduates is also about the same. Should I still go to Villanova or (considering I want to be in Maryland/DC area, but also get a good job with a good salary) is Catholic a better choice for me now? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »
Tag

GMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2007, 11:19:30 PM »
It seems as though people are a bit concerned about BYU.  Not sure if it is just an opportunity to knock a religion that has its peculiar parts or if it is really a big deal.  Regardless, here is a little info on the subject. Last year BYU's admisssions made a very calculated decision to try to raise their LSAT 25/75.  In their efforts they obtained nearly an exact number as the year before.  The failure to raise their LSAT numbers wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't sacrificed their 25/75 for GPA in their attempt, dropping from a 3.73 median to a 3.64 median.  In addition, rather than fill last years class in its entirety they decided to let it stand with 3 vacancies rather than take an additional 3 students off the waitlist that they didn't feel were qualified.  In addition, four of their notable professors took leave last year to teach at other universities as visiting professors.  Their student teacher ratio went down from about 17/1 to 21/1. All of those dropped their index in relation to #1 Yale (The standard to which every school is compared with by USA Today) In reality those mistakes are easily recoverable even though some seem to prefer gloating in BYU's demise.  The fact of the matter is that they do have an incredible library (one of the tops in the nation) and a bottomless pit of financial backing in the form of the Mormon Empire (Worth Billions). To further explain, anyone who knows a mormon knows that they band together.  The JRCLS (J. Rueben Clark Law Society) is not limited to alumni only. Any practicing Mormon attorney can be a part, and there are quite a few mormon attorney's out there. This allows a vast network available to BYU grads that doesn't always exist in the same fashion as other schools.  This combined with an over-aggressive career placement service makes them a real sleeper when it comes to job placement.  So for those who were wondering, this is why BYU is ranked where it has been in the past and most likely will go up again seeing that their mistakes are easily recoverable in regards to their index rating used by USA Today.  I write this simply as an informative post.  I am not selling or defending just explaining.