Law School Discussion

Loyola Law School (LA)

Loyola Law School (LA)
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »
So, I've noticed that Loyola Law School (LA) isn't the most popular kid on the block here.  But, since its the one school in LA that I may be attending, I figured I'd see if I can get some thoughts about it.

I visited the "campus" over by Downtown LA.  I know its drab, but I thought the library was fairly decent.  Also, since I went to undergrad at NYU I understand being confined to one city block (and generally one building alone) for most of your classes.  It looked secure, and actually some people in the area.. despite being poor... were nice.

Aside from that, the curious part of me is wondering the law students have full access to the main Loyola Marymount campus?  Such as gyms, libraries, etc.  That area is GORGEOUS!  It didn't occur to me to ask when I was visiting the school, because I only went to the campus after being at the little satellite Modern art anomoly.

I mean, if its at all possible to split time between classes in one area and studying on off days etc in the other area, Loyola might not seem like such a bad deal.  Especially if its later in the day, then you aren't really hitting traffic to go over to the LMU main campus.. and if its after 7:30pm not really a problem if you have to head back east to get home.

Thoughts or direct knowledge, anyone?  Or am I just being hopeful because I have this love of LA that I might need to let go...

Re: Loyola Law School (LA)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:07:28 PM »
anybody know about this?

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
I'm interested too.. and, how far is the law school from the main campus?

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:18:23 PM »
I attended Loyola Marymount for undergrad. Law school students can use the gym at reduced prices, something like 60 dollars a semester, beats my alumni rate!, as well as use the library. I had friends who had gone on to Loyola law school and I used to see them around at the gym and campus quite often.

The drive between the two really depends upon traffic. If you're driving at night, it's 15-20 minutes, during rush hour it could be up to around 30-45 min. For those who don't want to live downtown, there's plenty of places to live in LA that are much nicer including the beach communities that are around the main campus. In fact, for those going there for law school, and who don't mind the commute, that area's definetly a great option to live.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:02:43 AM »
AROUND 30-45 MINUTES!!!  In traffic????  How fast do you drive???  Or tell me your route.   :P I'm an LA Native--12 years driving these freeways and there is no way I could make it from downtown to Marina del Rey (where LMU main campus is) in less than an hour in heavy traffic. 

It's not that far, but it all depends on when you are traveling...15-20 at night sounds about right though.

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:03:59 AM »
Loyola is a good school, but downtown LA forced me elsewhere.

Lampshade Punk

• "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »
AROUND 30-45 MINUTES!!!  In traffic????  How fast do you drive???  Or tell me your route.   :P I'm an LA Native--12 years driving these freeways and there is no way I could make it from downtown to Marina del Rey (where LMU main campus is) in less than an hour in heavy traffic. 

It's not that far, but it all depends on when you are traveling...15-20 at night sounds about right though.

in LA heavy traffic, it takes me 45 minutes to go one exit on the freeway.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:19:23 PM »

in LA heavy traffic, it takes me 45 minutes to go one exit on the freeway.

TITCR

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 05:56:04 PM »
THANK YOU!!!  Traffic can get crazy!!!  Especially in the afternoon.  BTW  I don't know if you'll make it.  It seems like you'll always be stressed...hmmmm...try taking La Cienega to Washington.....

Lampshade Punk

• "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »
I'm thinking about attending Loyola PT.  I work in the Southbay - straight down the 110 fwy and probably a fair bit closer than LMU/Westchester - and I'm worried whether or not I'll be able to make the 6:00pm classes if I leave work at 4:45.  Traffic through and around downtown LA is horrific.

you would be cutting it close.  traffic would be bad.  my dad made the commute to Loyola PT from Santa Monica down the 10.  hesays the 110 is much heavier than the 10 but that you should be able to make it in an hour 15.