Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BOSTON COLLEGE 2010 - Legal Eaglets!!!  (Read 18937 times)

brettlawless

• View Profile
Re: The Bad A$$ Mother F-ing Boston College Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2007, 12:01:55 AM »
Just to reiterate what a couple people have already alluded to: the BC Law running club is very, very sweet.  It is probably the most well-run student organization I've ever encountered.  Not only are there multiple group runs/workouts scheduled every day, but it also provides access to about 1 race per month (weather permitting), in some pretty cool places like Cape Cod, Maine, etc.

For example, in October, we took a trip up to Stowe, VT for a training weekend.  Some people just went up to booze/soak up the mountain air, but some of the more dedicated took a 20 mile bike ride up to Smuggler's Notch, followed it with a 5k run over the river and through the woods (literally), then everyone capped the day off with hike.

Likewise, we entered 4 relay teams in the Cape Cod Marathon in November, which was also a lot of fun.  The president of the club is really knowledgable about all things running/working out (he's a mutliple Ironman finisher), and the personal gains made by people in the club reflect it.  Some girl went from not having run more then 5 miles to running a half-marathon at a 9 min pace or something.  Overall, probably the best people I've encountered at BC Law are in the running club, so I definitely suggest signing up

Thanks for sharing your experience. I spent about an hour on the running club's website today and was SOLD. My goal is to do Boston next year. Does entry to Boston require a qualifying time? Also, where do you go to swim? My university has an olympic-sized pool, but I'd be happy with 25m lanes.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010!!!

brinkmtf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2007, 05:10:52 PM »
Technically, you do have to qualify for Boston.  I think the qualifying time this year was 3hr 10mins for males in my age group (23).  While a few of the running club members are actually fast enough to do this, most just ran it as 'bandits,' meaning that they ducked under the tape somewhere near to start line and ran the race, only without an official number or finishing time.

Our multisport workouts (including the swim) took place at the rec plex on main campus (which would be an incentive for getting a membership there--fee is $5 per use for non-members).  Some people also go to Walden Pond (about 20 mins NW of campus) to swim when the weather is warm.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »
bump ... not that we really have to, but because we've been a little silent around here, and I'm pretty bored ... writing a paper that was due last tuesday.  I think this is the first time I have ever turned a paper in late but frankly with one week of school left I just don't care about UG anymore ... I want to start law school!

Anyways, on the blog front I think we should jump on tat domain name.  This link that one of you guys posted a few weeks ago ( http://blawgcoop.com/ ) makes it sound pretty easy and inexpensive.  Maybe we should get a little email list going to talk about this thing.

And in other news, what is everyone doing about housing?  Is anyone planning on going to the grad housing day/ incoming 1L coffee thing?  I'm thinking about driving in for a few days in June to check things out but I'm getting conflicting reports about the usefulness of the housing fair.  And it seems like an awful lot of pressure to have a single day to both meet people to live with and find adequate housing.  Thoughts?

Also, has anyone received confirmation that their deposit was received?  My internet baking thing is acting up and I don't feel like spending half an hour on hold with HSBC just to check to see if my check has been cashed.  Also, I want my BC email!

OK, that is all for now.  Peace.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

brettlawless

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2007, 11:50:33 AM »
bump ... not that we really have to, but because we've been a little silent around here, and I'm pretty bored ... writing a paper that was due last tuesday.  I think this is the first time I have ever turned a paper in late but frankly with one week of school left I just don't care about UG anymore ... I want to start law school!

Anyways, on the blog front I think we should jump on tat domain name.  This link that one of you guys posted a few weeks ago ( http://blawgcoop.com/ ) makes it sound pretty easy and inexpensive.  Maybe we should get a little email list going to talk about this thing.

And in other news, what is everyone doing about housing?  Is anyone planning on going to the grad housing day/ incoming 1L coffee thing?  I'm thinking about driving in for a few days in June to check things out but I'm getting conflicting reports about the usefulness of the housing fair.  And it seems like an awful lot of pressure to have a single day to both meet people to live with and find adequate housing.  Thoughts?

Also, has anyone received confirmation that their deposit was received?  My internet baking thing is acting up and I don't feel like spending half an hour on hold with HSBC just to check to see if my check has been cashed.  Also, I want my BC email!

OK, that is all for now.  Peace.

Hang in there. UG is almost over, and when it is all you'll have is a piece of paper and a brain full of memories.

I emailed the guy who owns blawgcoop and he said the service has mainly ended. His advice was to start a hosting plan with dreamhost.com and install WordPress from their site. After looking into it, this seems to be a solid option.

I was going to go to the housing fair--bought my plane tickets and made arrangements to attend--but then I found a place to live that I believe is much better than anything I would find at the housing fair. But I'm still going to fly up, spend a few days in NYC, take a train to Boston, check out the city and the law school, and see my new house and housemate. My initial plan wasn't to meet everyone and find a place to live all in the same day; rather, I intended to make prior arrangments to see a handful of apartments the weekend after the housing fair. I thought if I found someone at the fair with whom I could live, then we could look at places together. If not, then I'd gear my search toward finding a suitable studio. Luckily, I don't have to go through all that now. I found my housemate on the BC Res Life roommate finder. If I were you, I'd try a query or two there first.

I sent an email to the financial aid office requesting confirmation of receipt of my deposit and financial information. They responded with confirmation the next day.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010!!!

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2007, 02:47:54 PM »
got bored and was looking at the Am Law 100 that just got released ... there were 11 firms that took in more than 1 billion dollars in revenue last year.  Ten of them OCI at BC.
F you, Baker and McKenzie.
2L, Boston College Law

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Vercingatorix

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2007, 04:52:35 PM »
I called and they confirmed reciept of my deposit.  But the check still isnt cashed on my online banking.

I want my BC email too.  If only so I can join the BC network on facebook.

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2007, 10:56:35 AM »
So do students at BC actually have enough free time to enjoy all the city has to offer??

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Also.. do business and law students socialize??

Vercingatorix

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2007, 05:16:27 PM »
Respect the new avatar!

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »
very nice.  I've had the BC seal as my background for a few weeks now ... and haven't taken my BC hat off for at least that long!

also, LSBLady ... its finals time, so I doubt many of the BCLSers will be around to answer questions till stuff wraps up on the 18th.  Are you in the facebook group?  there are a bunch of current students that would probably respond to a facebook message.
2L, Boston College Law