Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UNC at 36!  (Read 1312 times)

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNC at 36!
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »
I do not think UNC should be rated this low.

Re: UNC at 36!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
It is a pretty ridiculous rating for UNC.  They place as high a percentage in NLJ250 firms as WUSTL and Emory, and quite a bit higher than schools like Minn, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Washington.  They should probably be in the high 20s like they were last year.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:46:28 PM »
I was shocked that they were that low myself...and that they are tied with Wake. I wonder why there was such a huge drop.

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »
I know they have a good reputation.  But this brings them more in line with their student numbers, does it not? 

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:13:51 AM »
I have strong UNC ties, but I seriously think they were overrated at 27.  They're highly regional in firm placement and don't contribute anything significant to academia (not even via law journals, let alone faculty).
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Pike#11

• Sr. Citizen
  • I wish I was here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »
These were the most significant changes I saw when I was checking the rankings yesterday.  LSAT 25/75 stayed exactly the same.

GPA
Old: 3.47-3.84
New: 3.39-3.77

Student/Faculty ratio
Old: 16.9
New: 20.1

Grads employment at graduation:
Old: 72.00%
New: 63.80%
Attending:  Florida
Accepted:  American, Florida, Florida State, Temple ($36K), Miami ($69K), Baylor
Waitlist:  UNC
Rejected:  Berkeley, Georgetown, George Mason, Duke

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:27:45 AM »
I know they have a good reputation.  But this brings them more in line with their student numbers, does it not? 

They weigh GPA much more heavily than most schools.  Their numbers might look worse, but I know that for someone like myself (2.8/173 splitter) schools like University of Washington and UNC are very difficult to get into, while Minn, WUSTL, UIUC, and W&L are guaranteed admits with money. 

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:00:04 AM »
I have strong UNC ties, but I seriously think they were overrated at 27.  They're highly regional in firm placement and don't contribute anything significant to academia (not even via law journals, let alone faculty).

I agree with this statement. I always did wonder how they managed to stay up there in the rankings. I applied to UNC cuz I'm from NC but from what people tell me they do place well in DC...don't know how true it is. I always assumed that if you went there you would kind of be stuck in the NC area. I didn't even notice that their employment rate dropped to 63% though.

Pike#11

• Sr. Citizen
  • I wish I was here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 11:14:05 AM »
I've heard they place well in both DC and Atlanta.
Attending:  Florida
Accepted:  American, Florida, Florida State, Temple ($36K), Miami ($69K), Baylor
Waitlist:  UNC
Rejected:  Berkeley, Georgetown, George Mason, Duke

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:24 AM »

They weigh GPA much more heavily than most schools.  Their numbers might look worse, but I know that for someone like myself (2.8/173 splitter) schools like University of Washington and UNC are very difficult to get into, while Minn, WUSTL, UIUC, and W&L are guaranteed admits with money. 

Hey, I'm in your boat (3.4/169, out of state).  I don't like their numbers because they don't seem to want to accept me, at least not until long after I've decided to go elsewhere.  Hence, I think they should accept me and improve their LSAT :)