Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Generals' W&L Base Camp  (Read 11498 times)

motorboatinsonofa

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's all deadly.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generals' W&L Base Camp
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »
So I'm heading down to Lexington this weekend to check out housing.  Any of the alums or current students have comments for/against borden commons?  or other advice? I'm looking for 1 br's ideally...thanks!
1L

General2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2007, 12:05:42 PM »
http://www.law.wlu.edu/news/storydetail.asp?id=263

W&L Law Alum in the news (Pants Lawyer). Would be pretty awesome if he showed up to the networking event in DC.
W&L Class of 2010

rickster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »
Ok, guys....this needs a bump, since I've changed course and have decided to go to W&L.  Over the next couple hours I'm going to look through the thread, but if anyone has any leads on housing (i'm heading up there early next week to get that squared away) and anything else please let me know.  Also, if someone can post the link to the admitted students site, that would be awesome, since I deleted that e-mail after I put my deposit in at UT.

Anyway, I get to start the process of meeting my classmates over again, so I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys over the next couple weeks before we meet in August.
Washington and Lee '10

LSN

stsherri

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2007, 10:53:56 PM »
Ok, guys....this needs a bump, since I've changed course and have decided to go to W&L.  Over the next couple hours I'm going to look through the thread, but if anyone has any leads on housing (i'm heading up there early next week to get that squared away) and anything else please let me know.  Also, if someone can post the link to the admitted students site, that would be awesome, since I deleted that e-mail after I put my deposit in at UT.

Anyway, I get to start the process of meeting my classmates over again, so I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys over the next couple weeks before we meet in August.

Hey rickster!  Good to see you again (in a manner of speaking), and glad to hear you'll be at W&L.  My wife and I found a place 2 or 3 weeks ago on a visit to town.  We checked out 8 or 10 rental houses, and ended up liking the last one we saw.  Most of our leads on houses came from the Lexington paper's online classifides (http://www.thenews-gazette.com/classifieds/?loc=detail&main=For%20Rent).  We didn't get into the apt market at all, so I can't comment on that.  Also, Emily at James William Moore Real Estate was very nice and helpful.  Remax, on the other hand: not so friendly and not so helpful.  That was our experience, anyway.

Admitted students page is here: http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=439.
W&L '10

Irish

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2007, 11:07:03 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say hi, I will be joining you all as a fellow 1L this fall. Got in off the waitlist a few weeks back so I have the honored distinction of being one of the Top Ten Least Qualified students at my undergrad and grad schools. Seriously though, I am pumped and cannot wait to meet all of you.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »

Got in off the waitlist a few weeks back so I have the honored distinction of being one of the Top Ten Least Qualified students at my undergrad and grad schools.

I suggest you get rid of this view real quick.  When school starts in August, you are just as qualified as everyone else in the class.  There were several Order of the Coif-ers in my class that had gotten in off the waitlist.  They came in feeling they had something to prove so they worked hard, while the full-ride, 175 LSAT, 3.85 GPA folks continued to bask in their own glory.

Welcome to W&L, and best of luck.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2007, 02:21:04 PM »
...Remax, on the other hand: not so friendly and not so helpful.  That was our experience, anyway....

Yeah, the main contact person for them just isn't friendly.  She's not evil or malicious, she's just gruff and confrontational, but she's been a good landlord, so if you don't like the places you're finding elsewhere, I'd recommend giving them a call, since they do work with a lot of properties in the area.

And congrats to the new arrivals--I'm looking forward to starting back up again in the fall.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

rickster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »
A long overdue thanks for the info.  I've got a couple good leads now, between this and the facebook group, and I've called a few realtors.  I'll be in Lexington Sunday - Tuesday, and when I leave I will have a place to live!  I hope...
Washington and Lee '10

LSN

The Doctor is IN!

• Just crazy enough to go for even MORE schooling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »
I also dealt with Emily at James William Moore Real Estate and I agree that she was quite friendly.  However I would also suggest contacting Theresa at Lexington Company Realtors (540-464-3922).  While both Emily and Theresa were very helpful, I ended up preferring the places Theresa (LCR) had to show (but of course different people have different tastes).  I will say that the LCR places did seems a bit more expensive in rent than the JWM places.
When the Going gets Tough, the Tough go looking for a new Career!

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2007, 04:26:08 AM »
ON CAMPUS HOUSING IS THE WAY TO GO BABY

about 90% of the students that lived there first year desperately wanted to move out but i think it's nice in there... plus you get to live in the same building as me and lemme tell ya you will not regret it. 
testing testing 1 2 3