Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US News Not Leaked, Released  (Read 182442 times)

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
Re: US News Not Leaked, Released
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »
Haven't read most of this thread, but NYU and Penn continue to be overrated IMO. 

Not that I disagree, but I'll ask the same question I asked Sooner: whose ratings should we go by?

What do you mean?  I just meant they were overrated by USNews. 

By overrated, I assumed you meant there was some standard against which US News overrated them (Penn couldn't be overrated unless it really, truly belonged somewhere else: how do you determine that?).

I just meant that I don't think there is any reason to believe NYU is better than Columbia or that Penn is the same as Chicago, mainly in terms of Big Law placement, academia, clerkships, etc. 

Probably the best standard (employability, that is): after all, I think the ultimate reason to go to law school is to get a job. However, do you think employability necessarily speaks to the quality of the education? This is very important to many people, and in that regard it is certainly possible that the rankings would be very different (ignoring the obvious dilemma: that different schools are strong in different areas, so an across-the-board ranking on this criterion would itself be misleading).

I have a hard time believing you wouldn't get a "quality education" at any top school.  In that sense the rankings are irrelevant.  But they are very relevant with regard to what sorts of jobs you can get, and I don't think this new list represents that very well with Penn and NYU.

Daydream Nation!  Woo-hoo!

all of the profs at the T14s come from the same law schools anyways - H or Y

so big EH

i know that doesn't mean that they're good teachers, but all of the teachers have similar pedigrees and whoever is a good teacher is so hard to quanitify, i wont' even try

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Haven't read most of this thread, but NYU and Penn continue to be overrated IMO. 

Not that I disagree, but I'll ask the same question I asked Sooner: whose ratings should we go by?

What do you mean?  I just meant they were overrated by USNews. 

By overrated, I assumed you meant there was some standard against which US News overrated them (Penn couldn't be overrated unless it really, truly belonged somewhere else: how do you determine that?).

I just meant that I don't think there is any reason to believe NYU is better than Columbia or that Penn is the same as Chicago, mainly in terms of Big Law placement, academia, clerkships, etc. 

Probably the best standard (employability, that is): after all, I think the ultimate reason to go to law school is to get a job. However, do you think employability necessarily speaks to the quality of the education? This is very important to many people, and in that regard it is certainly possible that the rankings would be very different (ignoring the obvious dilemma: that different schools are strong in different areas, so an across-the-board ranking on this criterion would itself be misleading).

I have a hard time believing you wouldn't get a "quality education" at any top school.  In that sense the rankings are irrelevant.  But they are very relevant with regard to what sorts of jobs you can get, and I don't think this new list represents that very well with Penn and NYU.

Daydream Nation!  Woo-hoo!

I can't help but think that the differences in opportunities afforded to Penn/Chicago and NYU/CLS students are THAT different so as to make the rankings unrepresentative.  Maybe in terms of SCOTUS (and ever other fed.) clerkships there is a bit of a disparity.  But I've gotten the feeling that the career options are more or less the same.  Caring about 1 spot differences in the top 7 law schools would seem to be a little petty and on the whole, irrelevant.

Maybe I'm just feeling snarky, but it's kind of getting to me at the moment.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »
happy to see the cleaned up version i reordered and put michigan > UC Berkeley even though they are tied at 8 make it to xoxo

alphabetical order be damned!
:D

i do think it's funny that we have this before them.

MisterManager

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2007, 03:47:10 PM »
Why are the rankings not in alphabetical order? There are a bunch of schools tied at 36 but Indiana is posted before Alabama...is it because the number that comes out of their sacred formula is a bit higher for IU, but not enough to account for an actual rank spot?

and also...if this is true...WHOA Carolina tsk, tsk

The U in University counts

I < U < W

Indiana University-Bloomington
36 55

University of Alabama
36 55

University of California (Hastings)
36 55

University of Colorado-Boulder
36 55

University of Georgia
36 55

University of Maryland
36 55

University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
36 55

Wake Forest University (NC)
36 55

got it...im an idiot
I always keep it real and i call no man mister.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
i do think it's funny that we have this before them.

There's a new Sheriff in town...

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »
glad to see BU is still on the move!

ULCA is one overall(71) point away from GULC(72). anyone know what the gap was last year? i don't think it was quite this close last year. anyone have the data handy?

cornell seems to have pulled a head a little if i remember correctly. their overall is 74.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »
I was informed of this site today regarding academia placement:

http://lsolum.typepad.com/legaltheory/2007/03/entry_level_hir.html

How long can we continue to call NYU overrated before it just seems silly? 5 more years? 10 more?
NYU 2010

mrsdclare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »
tag
Pending:  UC Hastings, USF, McGeorge, UC Davis, Santa Clara

In Infernos Dicet

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »
tag....lets see if this plays out on the 30th.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »
I know the 2nd tier is unknown to most of you, but does anyone have a damn clue how USD dropped from 65 to 85?  Best school in its region, very high LSATs for a T2 and 22nd best ranked faculty in the country.

Anyone have a clue WTF happened here?
USD 2010