Law School Discussion

US News Not Leaked, Released

Re: US News Not Leaked, Released
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »
wouldn't it be an interesting ploy for US News to fake out those of us trying to get some sort of early beat on it and this was all just fake?

I actually wish this were true.  :-[

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Haven't read most of this thread, but NYU and Penn continue to be overrated IMO. 

Not that I disagree, but I'll ask the same question I asked Sooner: whose ratings should we go by?

What do you mean?  I just meant they were overrated by USNews. 

By overrated, I assumed you meant there was some standard against which US News overrated them (Penn couldn't be overrated unless it really, truly belonged somewhere else: how do you determine that?).

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »
Sigur -- how exactly would overenrollment impact rankings -- would it affect yield?

Well, off the top of my head it would probably affect the spending/student, but that's not a very significant number in the calculation, so I'm just talking out of my ass.

« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
iscored, any chance that this is an incredibly, incredibly elaborate ruse designed to teach us all a lesson: namely that we put far too much stock into one magazine's rankings, and that our decisions should be based on personal criteria?

U.S. News has been trying to teach us law school applicants a lesson for quite some time.  By god, I think they've done it. 

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2007, 12:25:25 PM »
iscored, any chance that this is an incredibly, incredibly elaborate ruse designed to teach us all a lesson: namely that we put far too much stock into one magazine's rankings, and that our decisions should be based on personal criteria?

i only wish it were. It'd involve lots of fake double accounts that i've been posting under with different personalities for the past few months to confirm my little fake out. And in the end, people would all come together and realize that only the data that they personally really care about should be used for their decision (whether it be academic reputation, salary after graduation, 75th percentile LSAT score, location, etc).

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2007, 12:25:29 PM »
Sigur -- how exactly would overenrollment impact rankings -- would it affect yield?

Well, off the top of my head it would probably affect the spending/student, but that's not a very significant number in the calculation, so I'm just talking out of my ass.

looks like they do use the student/teacher ratio as a major factor

Vick

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »

looks like they do use the student/teacher ratio as a major factor

And that too.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2007, 12:26:22 PM »
Haven't read most of this thread, but NYU and Penn continue to be overrated IMO. 

Not that I disagree, but I'll ask the same question I asked Sooner: whose ratings should we go by?

What do you mean?  I just meant they were overrated by USNews. 

By overrated, I assumed you meant there was some standard against which US News overrated them (Penn couldn't be overrated unless it really, truly belonged somewhere else: how do you determine that?).

I just meant that I don't think there is any reason to believe NYU is better than Columbia or that Penn is the same as Chicago, mainly in terms of Big Law placement, academia, clerkships, etc. 

« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »
you know, I have read so often on here that NYU is overrated, that I may subconsciously be believing it now.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2007, 12:26:51 PM »

i only wish it were. It'd involve lots of fake double accounts that i've been posting under with different personalities for the past few months to confirm my little fake out. And in the end, people would all come together and realize that only the data that they personally really care about should be used for their decision (whether it be academic reputation, salary after graduation, 75th percentile LSAT score, location, etc).

If it makes you feel any better, I'm kind of doing that in my thread (getting people to seriously think about reasons for going to law school, figuring out what their gut says, etc.).