Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US News Not Leaked, Released  (Read 181382 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: US News Not Leaked, Released
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »
People still care about these things?

Why does a few positions bump or drop really matter? Seriously. Explain, please.

in some cases it indicates a larger trend... this is important. 

for example texas seems to have continued to drop significantly in the last 5-10 years. 

agent michael scarn

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »
Did anyone notice that the screenshot also lists the 05 stats just like last year's rankings?  Do you think that's part of the same glitch that has it listed as 2007 instead of 2008?

ishi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2007, 02:42:10 PM »
People still care about these things?

Why does a few positions bump or drop really matter? Seriously. Explain, please.

i don't really does from a year-to-year basis. I do find it interesting from a game standpoint. at least my preferences aren't changed a bit. I'd still take Michigan over Penn, Chicago or the two NY schools (if, theoretically i could get into ANY of those). I'd still take Texas over USC.

You have to wonder though, because a huge drop can certainly affect the amount of applications a school receives in the next cycle. A drop from Top 30 to Top 40 can definitely change whether people consider applying there.

Exactly.  Hastings used to be a top 20, then screwed up on reporting their rankings, resulting in a drop to 45.  Ever since, they've been stuck in the doldrums because their incoming class statistics have gone down proportionately.. But maybe they're back on their way up now.

barenakedtjm

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »
Wowza...just realized that Alabama tied with Georgia.  That's definitely interesting since the conventional theory on this board is that Georgia definitely trumps UA in the region.  This makes things definitely interesting in the South.

Roll Tide, fellow future Bammer!  I just sent my seat deposit today.

Juice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2007, 02:42:46 PM »
Great catch - I'm sure they had no intention of posting these today and you succeeded in preempting one of the worlds largest magazines and the entire law school industrial complex!

ishi

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »
anyone think USNWR would put out fake rankings for an hour or two, wait for LSD posters to go nuts, then take em down? 

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2007, 02:44:22 PM »
I'm just sitting here shaking my head in horror.

I'll say basically what I just said in my own thread:

You invest in a JD for the long term. Over the course of your career your school will fall and rise at least three spots multiple times. (Obvious exceptions: HYS).

If you are going to look at rankings look at long term trends; they at least indicate whether a school is generally on the rise or on the decline. If a drop of three spots or a rise of one spot matters this much to you you have some really serious ego problems.

::)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2007, 02:44:39 PM »
8 schools in the top 10 have to settle for ties. Stupid.

Current methodology sucks. Everyone knows NYU is not > Columbia and Chicago, Penn is not equal to Chicago, and Duke is not equal to UVA.

The reputation ratings are reality.

What methodology is this based on? I'm assuming reputation ratings, since they're reality. So the quality of a school now is determined by people who haven't been to law school in 30 years? Why is that a better indicator?
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »
haha well, to be fair... that's like catching a hit movie two days early. In the end, who really gains from it? anyway, glad to be of help.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »
I'm just sitting here shaking my head in horror.

I'll say basically what I just said in my own thread:

You invest in a JD for the long term. Over the course of your career your school will fall and rise at least three spots multiple times. (Obvious exceptions: HYS).

If you are going to look at rankings look at long term trends; they at least indicate whether a school is generally on the rise or on the decline. If a drop of three spots or a rise of one spot matters this much to you you have some really serious ego problems.

::)

exactly.