Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US News Not Leaked, Released  (Read 181026 times)

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: US News Not Leaked, Released
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2007, 02:52:41 PM »
But Z!! OMFG TX DROPPED 2 SPOTS!!!11!1one! Now anyone who goes there is going to be stuck in some TTT job!

::)

true dat

/i'll take their spot

that was my FIRST thought when i saw it. I thought "wow. it's possible that someone might actually choose another school over Texas because of this. I might get in off the wait list!" Because I'll certainly take Texas over the new 16th ranked schools.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2007, 02:52:50 PM »
People seem to be making a lot of UVA dropping two ranks and other seemingly important movements. Everyone should notice that UVA and Duke are scoring 77 and Michigan and Berkeley 78. UVA just dropped one point behind the other 2.
Penn (2007)

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
But Z!!  OMFG TX DROPPED 2 SPOTS!!!11!1one!  Now anyone who goes there is going to be stuck in some TTT job!

if this is a dig at my post i don't know that its neccesary.  if i'm going to invest 160K in a degree, i want to pick a stock thats rising or staying the same, not falling.  and thats not to say that UT is not a good school because it fell two places this year.  but looking at the data over time i'm not as sure in my "investment" there as i would be at other schools.  especially if one is out of state and is counting on the national reputation.

I think the point is that the job market for UT won't magically shrivel, even if it fell into the 20s. Employers know UT. That's all that matters.

And the lawyer assessment ratings actually went UP by .2 from 4.1 to 4.3... meaning that it's image is nominally better among employers.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2007, 02:54:16 PM »
8 schools in the top 10 have to settle for ties. Stupid.

Current methodology sucks. Everyone knows NYU is not > Columbia and Chicago, Penn is not equal to Chicago, and Duke is not equal to UVA.

The reputation ratings are reality.

What methodology is this based on? I'm assuming reputation ratings, since they're reality. So the quality of a school now is determined by people who haven't been to law school in 30 years? Why is that a better indicator?

Oooh engaged by Johnny on the spot!

You have my opinion. This is too much to get into now, and it would just be a retread of many other discussions in this forum, anyway. I just don't feel motivated to type a book now. But you should go ahead.  
The University of Chicago
The Law School

AlphaBusey

• Sr. Citizen
  • SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2007, 02:55:14 PM »
Yeah, like it or not the rankings are always going to have some small influence on all of us, even if we don't acknowledge it.  Me, I love the rankings, as it just seems to confirm my feelings about the schools (yay NYU and Penn!).
UVA '10

My generation's for sale
Beats a steady job.
How much have you got?
My generation don't trust no one
Its hard to blame
Not even ourselves.
The thing that's real for us is: fortune and fame,
All the rest seems like work.
Its just like Diamonds
In *&^%.- Queens of the Stone Age

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »
But Z!! OMFG TX DROPPED 2 SPOTS!!!11!1one! Now anyone who goes there is going to be stuck in some TTT job!

true dat

/i'll take their spot

that was my FIRST thought when i saw it. I thought "wow. it's possible that someone might actually choose another school over Texas because of this. I might get in off the wait list!" Because I'll certainly take Texas over the new 16th ranked schools.

Why no love for USC?
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

Violet247

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Flower
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:09 PM »
I got the new rankings when I logged in but then when I logged in later it went back to the old rankings. Did this happen to anyone else, too?

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:54 PM »
From now on the USNews should conduct a draft where they go one at a time.  It should be broadcasted live and each school should come and get congratulated one at a time just like in sports' drafts

:D

Maybe the deans would come to blows!

I vote for the rankings to be based off of dance-offs by the deans.

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »
But Z!!  OMFG TX DROPPED 2 SPOTS!!!11!1one!  Now anyone who goes there is going to be stuck in some TTT job!

if this is a dig at my post i don't know that its neccesary.  if i'm going to invest 160K in a degree, i want to pick a stock thats rising or staying the same, not falling.  and thats not to say that UT is not a good school because it fell two places this year.  but looking at the data over time i'm not as sure in my "investment" there as i would be at other schools.  especially if one is out of state and is counting on the national reputation.

do you have a link to this data?  I know i used to have it, but now i can't find it

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2007, 02:58:51 PM »

true dat

/i'll take their spot

Why no love for USC?

1. I believe Texas to be a better school than USC or indeed many of the T14 schools.
2. I'm a Texan, and I'd love to return to Austin. LA scares me as my other post indicates.
3. I do like USC, and its inderdisciplinary academic study really appeals to me, but that doesn't mean I'd pick it over Texas.
4. Texas is much cheaper.