Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarship/Fin Aid inquiries and ASWs  (Read 511 times)

blueshampoo

• View Profile
Scholarship/Fin Aid inquiries and ASWs
« on: March 27, 2007, 12:48:29 PM »
OK, so I will be attending two ASWs this week. I recently sent letters to both asking them to consider offering me additional merit-based assistance (sent them letters detailing other offers etc). My question is, should I try to follow up on this during the ASW? How would you approach this?

It seems to me like it would be difficult because the admissions staff will be out of the office participating in the ASW events for most of the day. Should I email them beforehand and try to make an appointment?

Any thoughts?

blueshampoo

• View Profile
Re: Scholarship/Fin Aid inquiries and ASWs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »
no one had a similar situation?   ::)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »
I didn't have a similar situation (I did it just the opposite; I visited to get some face-time and then requested more money).

If I were you, I'd introduce myself to the person who you emailed, "Hi, I'm so and so.  I wrote you a letter requesting reevaluation of my scholarship 2 weeks ago.  Nice to finally meet you in person", etc.  That way you aren't putting them on the spot to give you an answer, but you leave open the possibility to discuss it.  How's that? :)

Other than that, you could just write a follow-up email to that describing what you liked from your visit and requesting a status update.  I think, though, that they should see your face and talk to you in person before you do something like that.  It'd be more memorable.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

blueshampoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:16:28 AM »
great thanks! based on their initial responses, don't think i'm gonna get any love but it's worth a try.... ;D

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:34:33 AM »
Hey, you never know!  I managed to squeeze another $5K/year out of Pacific which was *just* enough to make up my mind to attend!  Of course, I got shot down when I asked a few other schools.  You have to be persistent and insanely optimistic, I think.  Law school admissions is a business: you're trying to get into the best school you possibly can to help your future career, and law schools are trying to get the best applicants to attend (based on numbers and soft factors) at the lowest price possible to help their ranking and reputation.  I'm not sure if it's a completely balanced deal, but that's how it is.

Let me know if you have any good results with your request.  Good luck!
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

lindenksv

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 02:13:27 AM »
I visited the financial aid people at two schools during their ASWs, though I hadn't contacted them before. They will generally go do ASW stuff during lunch, but you should be able to find someone around at other times.