Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggest a Masters Degree  (Read 331 times)

JeffNJ

• View Profile
Suggest a Masters Degree
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:40:24 AM »
BA in Political Science

Can anyone provide a link for the top lucrative graduate programs?

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Suggest a Graduate Degree
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »
I am assuming here you mean non-professional degree.  Obviously, this is a law school discussion site, so I think that is a safe assumption.  With your bachelors in political science, unless you have a very strong science back ground, I would personally say economics.  I have a master's degree in political science which is close to worthless, hence me being on a law school org.  An economics degree, though still in the social sciences at most school, will allow you greater opportunities for employment and is relatively lucrative.
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

JeffNJ

• View Profile
Re: Suggest a Graduate Degree
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:37 PM »
I am assuming here you mean non-professional degree.  Obviously, this is a law school discussion site, so I think that is a safe assumption.  With your bachelors in political science, unless you have a very strong science back ground, I would personally say economics.  I have a master's degree in political science which is close to worthless, hence me being on a law school org.  An economics degree, though still in the social sciences at most school, will allow you greater opportunities for employment and is relatively lucrative.

hmm, i never took an economics course in college so i dont think that will do

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest a Masters Degree
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
my BS is mechanical engineering and my MS will be in engineering management (finishing august '07, because that's the closest thing to an MBA my company would pay for since i'm an engineer and not a beancounter)

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »
something that you are fascinated by that is also convenient to your needs ... like a top-flight epidemiology program at the university down the street or a program in wildlife policy at u of montana.
this way, you'll have a masters with little or no debt and be a better candidate for continuing to do as you wish -- teach, non-profit administration, etc.
Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:37:39 PM »
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

h2xblive

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
MSN

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »

hmm, i never took an economics course in college so i dont think that will do

doesn't matter

one of my UG econ profs displayed several definitions of economics on an overhead one day.  Besides the usual ones about the distribution of scare resources and stuff there was my favorite:

Economics is the painful elaboration of the obvious. 

I think economics can also lead to the counterintuitive.  It might also be that your experience was at the UG level in which you are given just an overview.  I would argue that in more advanced classes like econometrics you would find more counterintuitive findings and the skills you get from an economics degree are much more markatable then other social science degrees.  Just my opinion, but since the OP had a political science background it would be an easier Master's degree then a lot of the technical/science master's that others on this site have advised him to follow.
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU