Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW or Temple?  (Read 898 times)

Irish Jax

• My puppy!
    • View Profile
GW or Temple?
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:19:56 AM »
I was accepted to both schools.  I like Temple because it is close to where I live and I want to work in Philadelphia.  GW is also a very good program and I would be willing to move to attend school there.

Any input?

nonunique

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GW or Temple?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »
I don't know anything about Temple, but I would bet that, unless you are talking about scholarships or a T14 school, you should go with the school in your market. I would guess Temple places better in Philadelphia than GW does.

Of course, if you want flexibility, GW is probably your school.
Attending: NU($)!!!
In: UVa($), GW, WUSL, WF, GM, Cardozo, DePaul($$)
WL: Columbia, Duke, Penn, UCLA, W&M
Out: Harvard, Stanford, Boalt, NYU, GULC, Chicago, Texas, Michigan, UWash, Cornell, UNC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=non

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:58 AM »
I'd go with GW. The rankings difference is significant, and Temple is competing with Penn and Villanova at least for the Philly jobs. GW gives you A) a better school rep and B) diversity factor--you're not one more Temple grad when job-hunting season comes around. The exception would be if you got major money from Temple, but even then, I'd think about it.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

KillYourself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »
I don't understand how this can even be a question?  Unless you HAVE to stay near Philly, why the f*ck would you take Temple over GW?  You're limiting yourself significantly if you choose the former.  Do yourself a favor and choose GW.  Thank me later.

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »
I'd go with GW. The rankings difference is significant, and Temple is competing with Penn and Villanova at least for the Philly jobs. GW gives you A) a better school rep and B) diversity factor--you're not one more Temple grad when job-hunting season comes around. The exception would be if you got major money from Temple, but even then, I'd think about it.

Actually, according to a friend who graduated last year from GULC but knew all along that she wanted to come back to Philly, her choice of schools lost her jobs here (she was actually told this in one interview).  Being "one more Temple grad" would have been preferable, in her opinion, for finding a Philly job.  Philly employers tend to be very loyal to their schools, and there are a vast number of Temple/Villanova grads in the law firms here, so if you're really intent on practicing in Philly, going to one of the law schools here is a good idea.  If you're not completely sure, then GW would probably be a better choice.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »
I don't understand how this can even be a question?  Unless you HAVE to stay near Philly, why the f*ck would you take Temple over GW?  You're limiting yourself significantly if you choose the former.  Do yourself a favor and choose GW.  Thank me later.

Disregard the above comment, this person is an elitist. If you want to live/work in Philly then you'll be able to network within the area better from Temple. Also, take tuition/debt into serious consideration. Temple is a phenomenal value for in=state dwellers while GW is way overpriced and there is no law school worth $150,000 debt in my opinion. Of course, these are all personal preferences and you need to figure out what your own goals are. If you want to be a big-time elitist lawyer working 85 hours a week for tons of money that you never have time to enjoy then I'd take the massive debt and GW. Otherwise I'd seriously consider Temple.  
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

nonunique

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 01:18:36 PM »
Actually, according to a friend who graduated last year from GULC but knew all along that she wanted to come back to Philly, her choice of schools lost her jobs here (she was actually told this in one interview).  Being "one more Temple grad" would have been preferable, in her opinion, for finding a Philly job.  Philly employers tend to be very loyal to their schools, and there are a vast number of Temple/Villanova grads in the law firms here, so if you're really intent on practicing in Philly, going to one of the law schools here is a good idea.  If you're not completely sure, then GW would probably be a better choice.

Vindicated!
Attending: NU($)!!!
In: UVa($), GW, WUSL, WF, GM, Cardozo, DePaul($$)
WL: Columbia, Duke, Penn, UCLA, W&M
Out: Harvard, Stanford, Boalt, NYU, GULC, Chicago, Texas, Michigan, UWash, Cornell, UNC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=non