Author Topic: ...  (Read 1489 times)

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:53:08 AM »

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Fascinating blog post on how classifying a graduated student as "unemployed and not seeking work," is better than classifying them as "unemployed and studying for the bar," available here:

That is really interesting.  ONe thing I learned since starting school... unemployed and studying for the bar is not as taboo as it sounds.  For example, in Denver the DAs office wont hire recent grads until they pass the bar.  So even if they have a "thumbs up" for the job, they are considered unemeployed until they take the bar (and pass).  I would assume this is the same for the PDs office, and who knows how many other gov't jobs. 
2L

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I can see the rationale behind it from USNWR's standpoint. It doesn't make sense to penalize a school because a person can't start work right away- e.g. starting or taking care of a family for a while.  You could probably also classify people who have the "thumbs up" as being in that category since they are not seeking work anymore, they just have a job offer contingent on them passing the bar.

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Fascinating blog post on how classifying a graduated student as "unemployed and not seeking work," is better than classifying them as "unemployed and studying for the bar," available here:

That is really interesting.  ONe thing I learned since starting school... unemployed and studying for the bar is not as taboo as it sounds.  For example, in Denver the DAs office wont hire recent grads until they pass the bar.  So even if they have a "thumbs up" for the job, they are considered unemeployed until they take the bar (and pass).  I would assume this is the same for the PDs office, and who knows how many other gov't jobs. 

this is true of A LOT of pi jobs across the country so people should keep that in mind if a school has a disproportionate number of people looking at those careers. however, this specific blog is about employment 9 months out so im going to assume that the majority of those unemployed are unemployed either because they failed their bar or otherwise couldnt get a job. people who had an "offer" from a da office contingent on passing the bar and did so would not be counted in the employed at graduation but would be included in the 9 month category.
Emory '09