Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Reading Comp. Section  (Read 1027 times)

mr

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You're going to cure death? MUAHAHAHA...doubt it"
    • View Profile
New Reading Comp. Section
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:52:17 AM »
Any thoughts on how to get some practice on the new section of reading comp?

ABMOC

• I'm nice, I'm just not promoted right.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Reading Comp. Section
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 02:26:59 AM »
Any thoughts on how to get some practice on the new section of reading comp?

They have practice material on the LSAC website.  It's actually a little bit easier to me, because the sections are broken down so that you know whose point of view each mini passage is in.  But other than that, I don't think that there is much.

Saturn

• Spinning in my own rings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »
I've been wondering this myself and the new RC presents the most worries for me. (Are we all supposed to stop reading the Economist, now?)

I actually did this experiment where I cut up an article and removed every alternating paragraph, but this really seems too random. I think what I got from that was that the Economist has wa-a-ay lots of detail and you can skip reading half and still feel informed about the topic.

Krause, how have you been approaching it?

kimmiepie2007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 01:28:28 PM »
I have just been timing myself with old Reading comprehension passages.  The questions shouldn't be that much different from the questions on previous tests.  I have just been concentrating on speed and finishing all of the passages. Is anyone enrolled in a prep class?  How are they preparing you for the new RC questions?

Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:58:05 PM »
Krause, that's an interesting idea. A couple of other people here posted they thought the new section as posted on the LSAC website seemed easier, and I'd agree, but I think it's a little fast and loose to just assume it's easier just because this one sample seemed to go that way.

Keep us posted on the ACT book!

Laxattack09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 09:17:36 PM »
I love that the easiest section for me, the one I'm finally kicking ass on, is gonna be changing. Why can't we change LR?

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 05:06:12 PM »
Let me get this straight... the whole RC section will be based on these type of passages, or is say... one out of 3 passage sets?

Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 10:51:29 PM »
Yep, we're the guinea pigs on this one. I think Julie Fern's refrain might be right: "June test hardest ever...."

LeilaStar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:11:36 PM »
I can't find this new sample for the reading comp on the LSAC website. Do you mean the sample test? In that case, I alrady did the sample test; is there anywhere else I can get more info on this Reading Comp stuff?

littlesailor1088

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 06:26:20 PM »
The SAT also has a double passage on its tests. Granted with the ACT and SAT you'll of course have an easier level of reading and slightly different type of questions. But it would give you an opportunity to practice on the compare/contrast  type of thinking.

But really I think the best thing to do is budget your time so that you have a little extra time for this portion of the section by getting through the easiest passage a bit faster. Much like a lot of people do for their games timing strategy. But if you do that be sure to also consider having a bit of extra time for the toughest reading passage too. Since all of the RC sections have a range of difficulty in the passages, much like the games section. And I think it's highly unlikely that the 2 two passage set is going to be the hardest passage and have the hardest questions, because that could throw off the scale.