Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Must decide soon. No one gives me a straightforward answer!! ;-(  (Read 1018 times)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Must decide soon. No one gives me a straightforward answer!! ;-(
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 11:41:15 PM »
This is what I've come to know from dealing with graduates, including making hiring decisions of associates and interns, from these three schools.  All of these schools are respectable and even with average grades, if you find externships and network, you can find a decent job, but that 80k salary might be a few years away, but it is possible that you start out even better depending on how well you do.  If you do well, you will have a good shot at making a decent salary.  I think that if you want to work in NYC, NYLS might be your best option because you'll be on the ground, if you want LI go to Hofstra, and Albany for upstate.  Students from all 3 advised me not to go <XLS> or to watch out for the debt and really consider the employment prospects (50k is something you MAY have to live on).  You're not going to get a job because you went to one of these schools, you're going to get a job because you are going to have a law degree and a prospective employer will be hiring YOU.  That's the deal when you're talking about smaller firms and local schools.  Good luck.  

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 11:46:46 PM »
Thanks to all for the helpful feedback. And the divorce lawyer thing. Umm, obviously its in demand because people get divorced so who's to say that being a divorce lawyer isn't worth it!

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 11:49:06 PM »
Thanks to all for the helpful feedback. And the divorce lawyer thing. Umm, obviously its in demand because people get divorced so who's to say that being a divorce lawyer isn't worth it!

Divorce lawyers aren't typically viewed as the most "savory" of attorneys

skyhigh711

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 12:35:41 AM »
They certainly milked my parents out of a lot of money (cue awkward silence)

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 12:27:08 PM »
If people are willing to pay to get divorced, then yea, why not take money for your services. There's always options and choices.

musetta4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 03:28:10 PM »
There are also those of us who have had very positive experiences with divorce attorneys. There is something to be said for having a caring and knowledgeable advocate in such a difficult situation.

I agree that divorce lawyers do indeed have an "unsavory" reputation as a whole, but there are some great ones out there.