Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Must decide soon. No one gives me a straightforward answer!! ;-(  (Read 991 times)

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
I've been doing research with regard to the 3 schools that I've thus far been accepted to (Albany Law School, Hofstra Law School, and New York Law School) and still can't seem to figure out which of the 3 is the best. I've asked numerous people and none have given me a straightforward answer. So please, if anyone can give me some feedback that will give me insight, that would be great.

After graduation, I want a job in New York City with a decent salary.

Any thoughts?

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Must decide soon. No one gives me a straightforward answer!! ;-(
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:47:27 PM »
Nobody is giving you a straight answer because it's a decision only you can make for yourself.

I've been doing research with regard to the 3 schools that I've thus far been accepted to (Albany Law School, Hofstra Law School, and New York Law School) and still can't seem to figure out which of the 3 is the best. I've asked numerous people and none have given me a straightforward answer. So please, if anyone can give me some feedback that will give me insight, that would be great.

After graduation, I want a job in New York City with a decent salary.

Any thoughts?

You and a million other people dude, that doesn't really help much.  At either 3, a great job in NYC will be pretty difficult (as far as BIGLAW goes).  What do you consider a good salary?

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »
I'd be surprised if anonymous people on this forum are going to have any meaningful advice for you to help you decide between three tier 3 schools in New York. I guess at best you might get an alumnus from or student at one of those schools, but even then I'm not sure what such a person could say that would really help. "The professors are tough but fair." "Jobs are available but you have to look for them." "Most people stay in-state after graduation."

I could be wrong, though. Good luck on your choice.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
I only know about Albany, because I grew up there.

On the plus, all the big time lawyers in Albany went to school there (although you said you wanted to go to NYC, which will be tough from albany, at least for a big time job).
On the negative, Albany (the city) sucks.  You will enjoy yourself much more in NYC.  Then again, less distractions in law school might not be all that bad
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »
I am not looking for BIG LAW. And a decent salary would be around $80,000.

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:11:58 PM »
go to Albany then, work 2-3 years for a firm in Albany after graduation then move down to NYC

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 11:16:09 PM »
I am not looking for BIG LAW. And a decent salary would be around $80,000.

If you are looking for 80k after graduation, retake the LSAT and apply next year. I would plan to 40-50k to start at any of those schools. The very top of the class might make 80k, but you cant count on that.

If the 80k is not a hard floor, then I would go to albany.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »
I figured if I do a lot of internships/externships this would up my chances for a better job/salary. Also, $40-50 is want I can make from undergrad; it sounds like a really low number for a lawyer, even if its not from such a great school.

I really want to do IP law, divorce, real estate or entertainment.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:32:52 PM »
who decides to go to law school to become a divorce lawyer?

Anyway, yeah. I think if you're looking for a good job in NYC from those schools the only answer we can provide is that you need to do very well at one of the three. None have enough prestige, networking opportunities, etc. to let you do anything else. So there it is. Go to one and make sure you do well.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:34:06 PM »
If only jdjive was still in existence, you could talk to plenty of lost souls from hofstra and NYLS who are slaving away for 50k or less with their jds.

Be VERY wary of statistics that say that the private firm starting salary is 100k+. First, those are often based off 20% or less reporting (usually the most successful people report), second many aren't in private firm because they CANT be, and those schools often have less than 1/2 the class in private firms.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?