Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on DePaul?  (Read 2618 times)

LambdaChi03

• Sr. Citizen
  • BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any thoughts on DePaul?
« on: March 05, 2004, 08:34:04 PM »
What's going on guys?  First, I'd like to congratulate everyone on any recent acceptances!  If you're stuck on a waitlist or haven't heard from any schools yet, keep hope alive!  I believe there is a law school for everyone out there that is truly motivated to become an attorney.  I just got accepted to Depaul University School of Law but don't really know much about the school.  I applied because they invited me to apply and waived my application fee.  Does it have a good reputation in Chicago/nationally?  I'd appreciate any relevant information that could held me decide whether to attend or go somewhere else.  Thanks!

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any thoughts on DePaul?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 12:08:16 AM »
First off, congrats! I'm still waiting to hear from them.

As for their recognition, in Chicago, they are not truly prestigious, because of the other schools in Chicago. Out of the four Chicago law schools (U of Chicago, Kent, DePaul, & John Marshall), they are ranked 3rd.  Interesting that Chicago has a law school in all 4 tiers, eh?

If you're looking to practice in the Midwest, they are probably a good bet.  The majority of their grads stay in the Midwest, most in Illinois. 

Hope that helps.

Karen W.

getmein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 10:33:45 PM »
I've been wailisted at DePaul and did my undergrad there for two years.  I think Karen is right when she says they're not truly prestigious, but they have a very good reputation in Chicago. They have great connections with private law firms in Chicago, and money flows through those firms.  Starting salary a bump higher in Chitown.  If you are prepared to stay in Chicago for a bit don't hesitate about DePaul, they are solid. Oh and Chicago is a blast.

waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 07:56:39 AM »
First off, congrats! I'm still waiting to hear from them.

As for their recognition, in Chicago, they are not truly prestigious, because of the other schools in Chicago. Out of the four Chicago law schools (U of Chicago, Kent, DePaul, & John Marshall), they are ranked 3rd.  Interesting that Chicago has a law school in all 4 tiers, eh?

If you're looking to practice in the Midwest, they are probably a good bet.  The majority of their grads stay in the Midwest, most in Illinois. 

Hope that helps.

Karen W.

Um, there's this other law school in Chicago, it's called Northwestern.  :)

There's also another one called Loyola.  At least I think they both exist, since I applied to them.  Or else I just got scammed out of 60 bucks.

Anyway,  I heard back from DePaul last weekend, they're kicking in some money, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the other Chicago schools. 

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 03:28:55 PM »
Um, there's this other law school in Chicago, it's called Northwestern.  :)

There's also another one called Loyola.  At least I think they both exist, since I applied to them.  Or else I just got scammed out of 60 bucks.

Anyway,  I heard back from DePaul last weekend, they're kicking in some money, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the other Chicago schools. 

Waiting - you're absolutely correct.  I had a major brain fart.

Even after posting that it donned on my that was missing at least Loyola. I just forgot to go back and edit...

I apologize for the confusion...and will shake this brain fart yet! 

Having said, that, it doesn't change what I said about DePaul above..  ;)

Karen W.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 09:46:08 AM »
hi karen! :)

can i ask where you got the rank info from? is it basically the USNWR rankings or was there another pub you found them in? i'm just asking outa curiosity because i'm always looking for something to compare the USNews ranks to.

also, if it's any consolation lambda, i've met quite a few attorneys out here in AZ who went to northwestern, loyola, etc. and from what a good number of them told me, a lot of them wish they would've went to depaul for law school. when i asked them why - especially w/the big names they pulled out! - they told me that they felt like they would've actually learned how to be a lawyer and not just a whole bunch of theory along with other things.

it made me think about who i'm gonna apply to next year, though. so if you ever decided to move to az after law school, you've obviously got some backing out here! lol :D  but i do agree that depaul has a very solid rep back in illinois (and indiana; my cousin went there and is currently running for an office in our hometown). so good luck and i sincerely hope you get accepted to depaul. :)

aj :)

tuffguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 10:38:14 AM »
Is Kent considered better by a considerable margin that DePaul?  Also, which one of these schools - DePaul and Kent - are considered a better bet for those looking to get into IP?

waiting

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 01:23:10 AM »
Is Kent considered better by a considerable margin that DePaul?  Also, which one of these schools - DePaul and Kent - are considered a better bet for those looking to get into IP?

First off, Karen, didn't mean to be an ass, sorry if I came off like that above :)

I'd like an answer to the above question as well.  I've been told that specific programs mean little when choosing a school, but I'm not sure about that.

That being said, I've been accepted to DePaul w/scholarship, been deferred at Northwestern, and am still waiting on Loyola and Chicago-Kent (although with my numbers I've been told I will get in to both schools.  I hope I will, nothing's set in stone 'til I get that letter in the mail.) Assuming I get into both, it's going to be a real hard choice between the 3, especially if the other schools don't pony up a little cash (I am pretty much flat broke and will be loaning not only tuition but living expenses, since I won't make too much only working part-time.) 

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 03:15:11 AM »
My thoughts on Depaul?  They were lucky to beat Dayton last night. 

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 10:26:10 AM »
My thoughts on Depaul?  They were lucky to beat Dayton last night. 

Yes, but I am glad they did b/c I had them in my office pool to win in the first round. I mean two overtimes in a low scoring game really. And one of them was 0-10 from the line before I just had to stop watching because the game was to slow.