Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern, UT, Vandy - $$$ or prestige?  (Read 2433 times)

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
Northwestern, UT, Vandy - $$$ or prestige?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
So, I haven't posted in a while, but that's because I'm still undecided.  Ironically, while hubby's job transfer didn't happen, he got another job offer in Nashville two weeks later. So Vandy's back in play, but the attorneys at work (I work for a large national firm) all but talked me out of it  :-\ 

I'm not solely driven by prestige, but as it stands today, I'm leaning towards Northwestern.  It will cost the same as UT, and while moving may be a pain, work opportunities for hubby are much greater. And seriously, UT will be out-of-pocket and NU will give me loans, and while it costs the same, Northwestern just seems more eager to have me as a student. So there we are...  I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, etc.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

uesi

• View Profile
Re: Northwestern, UT, Vandy - $$$ or prestige?
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 12:11:09 AM »
I don't know how other schools are, but I know that after each school year Texas reviews its students for additional merit and need scholarships. If you have higher than a 3.8 gpa, it is very likely to receive extra money ranging from $500 - $2500 / year.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
Yay for Chicago.

I think NW is the right call. The difference in cost is negligible from a LT perspective...but remember to think about a 1L summer internship at a law firm that could help pay for the rest of school. I hear you can get them at NW without too much difficulty, but not so at UT. That's an extra $20K or more, depending on what you'd have to do instead.

When would you move? I am moving at the end of July.
The University of Chicago
The Law School

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »
Yay for Chicago.

I think NW is the right call. The difference in cost is negligible from a LT perspective...but remember to think about a 1L summer internship at a law firm that could help pay for the rest of school. I hear you can get them at NW without too much difficulty, but not so at UT. That's an extra $20K or more, depending on what you'd have to do instead.

When would you move? I am moving at the end of July.

Thanks man! Planning for end of July as well - have to get the house ready to sell first.  Luckily the market in our neighborhood is great, so it should sell quickly and get us some cash for the move and the first year.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »
I hear you can get them at NW without too much difficulty, but not so at UT.

Don't know where you heard that, but plenty of UT 1Ls will be enjoying high paying big-law summers this year.

Sorry to see you go Sladkaya, but glad things seem to be working out!
UT 1L

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »

Don't know where you heard that, but plenty of UT 1Ls will be enjoying high paying big-law summers this year.

I heard it from MindTheGap, so it must be true...lol. UChicago trolling, you know. It's all anecdotal.

What % would you say = plenty? What grade percentile do you need at UT to be competitive for those internships? I think MTG has a top 10% UT friend that couldn't get a summer 1L big law intership.
The University of Chicago
The Law School

uesi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 06:45:47 PM »

I heard it from MindTheGap, so it must be true...lol. UChicago trolling, you know. It's all anecdotal.

What % would you say = plenty? What grade percentile do you need at UT to be competitive for those internships? I think MTG has a top 10% UT friend that couldn't get a summer 1L big law intership.

Grades don't really matter for 1L biglaw. The ones that do get hired are the ones that have prior connections or are looking to work in IP. This is the same for most schools, not just UT. If you're looking for corporate work, it's basically a crapshoot.

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2007, 02:07:19 AM »
I couldn't even take a shot at a percentage, but it seemed like people who were in the Top 25-30% or so and actually went for one could get one. It is 1L after all, so you do have to do a little more work than in the second year. As for IP and prior connections, it seemed to help some people quite a bit, but it's not necessary.
UT 1L

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »

Thanks Storm!  I'm a little sad myself, for a long time I was sure I'd go to UT, but they did everything they could to get me not to go, from the financial aid and loans perspective.  It worked out for the best in the end - my husband and I are super excited about moving to Chicago.