Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke V. NYU  (Read 2025 times)

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Duke V. NYU
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »
Copying perfect pint here on this one.

Saw NYU last weekend and came away convinced I would go.
Saw Duke this weekend and feel in love with it.

I am having trouble deciding what to do because they are so different.

I am not sure what I want to do although I am almost certain I would take a big firm job right after graduation.  Eventually I would love to do media law.  Duke offered me some money, NYU did not.

I don't really like NYC that much, although I was impressed with NYU's location.  Obviously it is better-situated for interships, etc.

Duke felt a lot more like home.

I am cheap and the cost of living in NYC scares me.

My dog would like Durham better.

I think I am just afraid of passing up the opportunity that I know NYU is (not that Duke isn't).  I don't want to be a rankings whore, so I am trying to ignore US News for this.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone in the same boat.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Re: Duke V. NYU
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
NYU, duh.  ;D

Sounds like you're trying really hard to convince yourself to go to Duke over NYU; if that's the case, you have your answer.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
Duke offered me some money, NYU did not.

Seems like NYU hasn't sent out ANY money yet...so just wait and see if you get any.

NYU, duh.  ;D

Sounds like you're trying really hard to convince yourself to go to Duke over NYU; if that's the case, you have your answer.

credited.
Columbia 3L

billhoyefanclub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:14:17 PM »
The way I see it (Never been to NYU, but I have been to New York)

Duke Pros: The dreamy yet cool under pressure Billy H., cheap rent so plenty of space for a certain furry someone, warm weather, sweet tea, basketball, $$$, cheaper COL, MUCH smaller classes

Cons: Lower ranking, nontrad gunners in vests, less connections in NYC, not a lot to do (compared to NYC), less diversity
The above post is in no way intended to represent the views of William J. Hoye or Duke Law School.

"We learn better in environments where we are working with people who have viewpoints and experiences different from our own."
- Bill Hoye

King Solomon's real name was Kyle.

uesi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »
Here's what an older student told me.

NYU definately has the edge for internships and jobs in NYC market. Firms will dig deeper into NYU class when hiring. However, the difference between the two schools is not as large as some may make it out to be. Unless you are gunning for someplace like WLRK, it may actually benefit you to *gasps* ignore the rankings and choose where you would be happiest. 3 years and a mountain of debt is not something to just brush aside and ignore. Granted Durham may not be as happening as NYC, but I would enjoy a big beer at Satie's with friends just as much as paying $1500/month rent and expensive drinks. Plus, instead of using your first year salary to repay loan + ~25% interest, you would have more flexibility to splurge.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:19:18 PM »
This decision clearly comes down to whether or not you're a fan of Duke basketball:

Fan -> NYU.
Hate -> Duke.

Reason being: with McRoberts gone + the general disarray of the team, Duke will be absolutely miserable. This will either be painful to watch or the greatest 3 years of your life.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

billhoyefanclub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »
Plus, instead of using your first year salary to repay loan + ~25% interest, you would have more flexibility to splurge.
Plus, work at WLRK = no time for models and bottles even if you could afford it.
The above post is in no way intended to represent the views of William J. Hoye or Duke Law School.

"We learn better in environments where we are working with people who have viewpoints and experiences different from our own."
- Bill Hoye

King Solomon's real name was Kyle.

uesi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 12:22:28 PM »
Plus, instead of using your first year salary to repay loan + ~25% interest, you would have more flexibility to splurge.
Plus, work at WLRK = no time for models and bottles even if you could afford it.

werd

perfect pint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lovely day for a Guinness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 12:24:15 PM »
If you want to enjoy your 3 years at law school, I think that Billy and team at Duke are going to make that happen for you. Your 2L year, you can drink sweet tea on the lawn with your puppy in March after your third 15 person seminar of the day which you had with an amazing professor that is actually invested in your intellectual growth, before trotting off to your law review or whatever other extracurricular you have chosen in which you actually have a say because there aren't 200 people in every club.

At NYU on that same day you'll be sitting in Washington Square park with your third triple latte of the day shivering in the cold and wondering why you got waitlisted in every single class you wanted to take and ended up taking something you didn't care about and why the professor still doesn't know your name.

Ok that is an exaggeration but the QOL at Duke will be significantly higher. Yes the opportunities are easier to get coming out of NYU but if you apply yourself you are not going to be at a significant disadvantage coming out of Duke. I am also biased because NYU is still ignoring me, but at this point I'm not sure I'd heed their siren call.

Oh and P.S. your Contracts professor at NYU couldn't possibly compare to the dreamboat at Duke!

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »

Oh and P.S. your Contracts professor at NYU couldn't possibly compare to the dreamboat at Duke!

True dat.