Law School Discussion

only borrow school set COA minus other aid?

. . .

• View Profile
only borrow school set COA minus other aid?
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:59:06 AM »
can someone please clarify something for me? i have been getting mixed info on private student loans. is it true that you can only borrow the COA (cost of attendance as set by the school) minus other aid received? This scares me because the Living Expenses budget for some schools is WAY lower than what I would need to get by. how do you make up the deficit between the budget the school sets and your own actual budget?

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
Re: only borrow school set COA minus other aid?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »
did someone say Court of Appeals? COA? Go 5th Circuit!

barenakedtjm

Re: only borrow school set COA minus other aid?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:46:56 AM »
can someone please clarify something for me? i have been getting mixed info on private student loans. is it true that you can only borrow the COA (cost of attendance as set by the school) minus other aid received? This scares me because the Living Expenses budget for some schools is WAY lower than what I would need to get by. how do you make up the deficit between the budget the school sets and your own actual budget?

That's all you can get from Stafford+Grad PLUS, is my understanding, which are the loans with very low interest rates (are they government loans?).  Beyond that, you can get them from a private lender like Sallie Mae or wherever else.