Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Michigan Class of 2010  (Read 259056 times)

EastTex

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Michigan Class of 2010
« Reply #3770 on: June 21, 2007, 05:41:57 PM »
Hey, Jolie and rtqw....many thanks for the info.  If I may be a bit specific:  since the Texas homegoing with air plus ground will be about an 8 hour trip, and prices appear to be going up, what do you recommend?  The last flight to Houston is at 7:15 p.m. meaning that if the  class is over at 6 p.m., that won't work.  Do you think the odds would favor being able to get TO the airport by 6 p.m.(do many people HAVE classes until 6 on Wednesdays?)...is it kosher to leave a class EARLY....or need one wait until the August schedule is out to make Thanksgiving reservations...AFTER all of the cheap seats are likely gone?

Also, do most of the students go home or somewhere during the Oct. fall 5 day break...or do they stay and study?  Does the Lawyer's Club stay open???  What about the winter break?  I know I'm asking lots of questions, but I will be most grateful for any insight you might give.  It's financially preferable to get those tickets now, but if it's not wise.....

Anyway...thanks for any help you might have to offer.

Mickey Ward

• Sr. Citizen
  • A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: June 21, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
Sometimes, futile penis-jousting with an ideologue is just good fun.  :)

Umm, Thing?  Now seems like as good a time as any to break it to you.  I'm a girl. 

I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: June 21, 2007, 06:13:23 PM »
They don't actually cancel classes the day before Thanksgiving or anything like that -- it reminds me of Cornell and their pointless pride in never cancelling for inclement weather.  

Some profs are more easygoing than others.  Like, I can tell the summer starters right now that their Property prof will undoubtedly hold class right until the last moment the day before holidays, even tho it will likely be your last class of the day.  And she'll be pissed if you skip and will carry on (she was the only prof I know of who made us sign an attendance sheet so she'd know who was skipping.  And of course everyone wanted to skip because she SUCKED.)  But other profs will be more easygoing about it - I mean, they know that students disperse all over hell's halfacre whever we have time off.  

Actually we did have a weather day off this year.  Actually a weather HALF-day.  Which was useless for me because I was already here.

::)  I almost added a disclaimer b/c I heard about that unprecedented half-day and was sure you were going to mention it, but I decided to try for (and fall short of) something like brevity.   :P

Actually it was pretty funny.  You could tell they BADLY wanted not to close the school.  But when public transportation started shutting down and the snow started getting waist deep they relented....once it had become so bad it was more of a pain in the ass to figure out how to get home.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3773 on: June 21, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »
I'm as much of a Yankees fan as a non-baseball watching guy can be and all, but I just thought this was an appropriate time for a reminder:

I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

monserrat

• Sr. Citizen
  • mis preciosos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: June 21, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
I'm as much of a Yankees fan as a non-baseball watching guy can be and all, but I just thought this was an appropriate time for a reminder:

i love it!
Michigan 2010

Def Leppard

• View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: June 21, 2007, 09:21:01 PM »
Hey everybody,

Spent some time today looking into the best way for a (future) study group to organize notes/outlines, and I concluded that a wiki makes the most sense. Anyway, this site has a nice comparison tool for a bunch of wikis:

http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/%40Wiki+CentralDesktop+ClearWiki+Cospire+Metadot-Wiki+Netcipia+nexdo+SamePage+SeedWiki+Socialtext+StikiPad+Wetpaint+Wikispaces
(these are hosted for free, but there are p2p solutions as well)

There is plenty of time to form study groups, but would anyone be interested in this approach?

Seacrest out

Def Leppard

• View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:14 PM »
If you set up page permissions, its not public (or doesn't have to be). Just let the study group members access the pages.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3777 on: June 21, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
My concern with that setup is that it might encourage laziness among the less productive group members and could cause the group to meet in person less. I'm all for outline sharing, but it seems to me that outline sharing by itself isn't much better than sharing, say, Powerpoint slides.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm all for setting up some public sharing repository. It would just have to be accompanied by actual group meetings.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Def Leppard

• View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: June 21, 2007, 10:31:08 PM »
I wouldn't want to forgo study group meetings, but this seems like a more efficient way to edit an outline. With a wiki, everyone in the group can edit the thing in class (assuming you have a notebook and they are allowed), a different person(s) compiles the changes for each lecture, and the page is done. Meet to discuss the final versions for each lecture and if there is some critical piece that gets dropped, the group can pull it back in with the page histories. If you miss class you don't have to copy notes, relevant pages are hyperlinked (usually automatically), key word searches, etc.     

There's not much you can do with lazy people. At least with a wiki, you can see the site statistics and it's obvious who is/isn't sandbagging.

As a side note-I was looking into OneNote GNU/Linux alternatives when I decided a wiki would work better.

Full disclosure: I have never used a wiki. ;)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3779 on: June 21, 2007, 11:09:49 PM »
Oh, I see... a group outline. I'm all for compiling what everyone has into one outline, but I'm very much a take my own notes every class guy.

LSN</