Law School Discussion

University of Michigan Class of 2010

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: University of Michigan Class of 2010
« Reply #630 on: April 16, 2007, 07:01:31 PM »
Moni, you're such a badass.

I say go to Michigan.  You'll save a fortune on COL and we'll be far more likely to share a culinary experience on occasion!

The thought has definitely crossed my mind.  The problem is I reallly like NYU's Law and Business program and LLM in tax.  Michigan isn't nearly as strong in those areas (though any info from current students is appreciated). 

What does the LL.M. have to do with the JD? You can easily go NYU for your LL.M.

They have a JD/LLM where you get both in 7 semesters.  You can apply from other schools, and spend 3L and extra semester at NYU as a visiting student, but that would require switching schools for my final year.

Oh yeah! True dat. Do you want to teach or something?

Definitely not!  But I think I might be interested in tax.

But you don't need an LLM to practice tax law, do you? I won't get an LLM in IP.

You don't need it, but it definitely helps.  And NYU has one of the best.

Im obiously biased but..wouldnt there be a benefit to doing a JD at mich and an LLM at Nyu- namely, dramatically increasing your alumni network???

This is also true...  At this point its all up in the air.  After all, I might just hate tax!

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2007, 07:03:59 PM »
Moni, has the bf been accepted anywhere near NYU?

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 16, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »
Moni, you're such a badass.

I say go to Michigan.  You'll save a fortune on COL and we'll be far more likely to share a culinary experience on occasion!

The thought has definitely crossed my mind.  The problem is I reallly like NYU's Law and Business program and LLM in tax.  Michigan isn't nearly as strong in those areas (though any info from current students is appreciated). 

What does the LL.M. have to do with the JD? You can easily go NYU for your LL.M.

They have a JD/LLM where you get both in 7 semesters.  You can apply from other schools, and spend 3L and extra semester at NYU as a visiting student, but that would require switching schools for my final year.

Oh yeah! True dat. Do you want to teach or something?

Definitely not!  But I think I might be interested in tax.

But you don't need an LLM to practice tax law, do you? I won't get an LLM in IP.

You don't need it, but it definitely helps.  And NYU has one of the best.

Im obiously biased but..wouldnt there be a benefit to doing a JD at mich and an LLM at Nyu- namely, dramatically increasing your alumni network???

I actually sort of know a woman (husband's boss's sister) with a Michigan JD and NYU Tax LLM.  She's a very successful New York attorney.

« Reply #633 on: April 16, 2007, 07:09:25 PM »
Oui.

French is sexy.

Making the edits now ;)

Ummm, while you're at it, Wilax, divo, and goodnews are all summer, and *officially* in to boot. ;)

thanks!

gengis, I'm also really upset abt the Fri class, contracts switch too!!
when are you moving??

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 16, 2007, 07:11:49 PM »
Are you summer starters gonna invite me to parties and *&^%, since I'll already be in AA?

G. Coop, will you still be around?

« Reply #635 on: April 16, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »
Oui.

French is sexy.

Making the edits now ;)

Ummm, while you're at it, Wilax, divo, and goodnews are all summer, and *officially* in to boot. ;)

thanks!

when are you moving??

I kind of like the contracts switch myself. Torts and civ pro together sounded like overkill. Contracts will mix it up a bit I think. Though the idea of having to come in on fridays just for ONE CLASS pretty much sucks.

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 16, 2007, 07:18:14 PM »
Are you summer starters gonna invite me to parties and sh*t, since I'll already be in AA?

Heck yeah!  Are there summer gymnastics meets?

Nah, it's a winter sport for NCAA.  

« Reply #637 on: April 16, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »

when are you moving??

I know right?  Why suddenly does this year have to get Friday class?  And did you look at the fall schedule?  If you're AB, you have a M-F 8 AM class again.  LAME.

May 15th or 16th . . . you?

May 25th. Are you stll driving your shiz there??

flyaway, of course!  

« Reply #638 on: April 16, 2007, 07:20:39 PM »
I kind of like the contracts switch myself. Torts and civ pro together sounded like overkill. Contracts will mix it up a bit I think. Though the idea of having to come in on fridays just for ONE CLASS pretty much sucks.

I dunno, maybe stacy's talk about CivPro being a good foundation really won me, but I was looking forward to having it to start. Ah well.

well, waiting till the fall for it won't be so bad. And I'm kind of glad that it looks like we won't have to deal with criminal law until 2008.

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 16, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »
Are you summer starters gonna invite me to parties and sh*t, since I'll already be in AA?

Heck yeah!  Are there summer gymnastics meets?

Nah, it's a winter sport for NCAA. 

Oh.  Well . . . you wanna go swing dancing?

Sure, as long as you aren't easily embarrassed!

Anyway, the drive from NYC can't be that bad, right?

I think from here (DC suburb) it's about nine hours.  Dealing with the nervous 85 pound dog will be the worst part of the drive.