Law School Discussion

Los Angeles

Re: Los Angeles
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »
how are these areas: mar vista, beverly hills, palms, culver city, century city?

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »
Let me throw a disclaimer on here ** I'm not going to pretend I know everything about LA, but since it seems to be my destination at this point in time, unless things change rapidly, I've really been throwing myself into looking to the areas.**

Beverly Hills is really pricey.  Although its nice, when you are in law school I don't really think it would be worth it.  Its not a horrible commute to campus, but unless you can afford to live in a ritzy area, it may not be worth it.

Culver City.  I've driven through here a few times with friends, and to me it seemed more like a suburb than a city.  There are more malls and a bunch of studios (if I'm thinking of the right part of the city), so if you want the feel of a city without being in a city, then it might be worth a shot.  There are also a lot of studios and some major roads can be backed up.  I'm not familiar with rent in the area, though.

Century City.  I haven't spent much time here, but I know from friends that there are a lot of financial jobs set around there.

Mar Vista.  I wish I could give some insight, but I really can't say too much about it.  Don't know where you are looking to go to school, but I know that when we passed through on our way to Venice Beach, it was quite far from USC and Loyola LA, and its position south makes me think it may have been a bit of a hike from UCLA too.

LBJFan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 08:54:31 PM »
how are these areas: mar vista, beverly hills, palms, culver city, century city?

Palms: decent area, TONS of students, very diverse. I live in this area and UCLA owns several grad student buildings in the neighborhood but you also have a bunch of students from other schools. Its close to the 10 freeway which will take you right downtown. It tends to LOOK sketchier than it is (like a lot of LA) but its a safe area, I can totally walk to the 24 hour Ralphs at midnight and I feel fine, lots of young people, the neighborhood is mostly apartment buildings, about 4-5 miles from the beach

Beverly Hills: Its Beverly Hills. Nice area, ridiculously expensive, overrated (IMO), unless you're wealthy or plan to have a ton of roommates, I don't see how you pull off BH on a law school budget.

Culver City: This actually is a suburb. Its not a neighborhood of LA, its its own city. Sony's International Studios is in Culver, it has a quaint little downtown area. Nice place to live. Way less apartments than Palms. Theres only one mall actually but its popular. Its next door to Palms, more families, less students, about 4-6 miles from the beach depending on which side of Culver you live on, has a lot of history if you're willing to explore the suburb. I live a block and a half from Culver and its a cool place

Century City: I work in Century City. Its between Westwood and Beverly Hills and its expensive. Its like a "second downtown" only way nicer. A lot of law firms are in Century city because theres a bunch of skyscrapers there. It has a really nice mall, its a nice area to live but like I said, its pricey and theres a lot of commercial buildings.

Mar Vista: Ive not spent a lot of time there but I drive through it all the time. Its just another neighborhood. Santa Monica is north of it, Venice, Culver and Palms border it too. Its closer to the beach than Palms and Culver. There are not as many apartment buildings as Palms, more families. Decent area. Low sketch factor. Just know that the further West you get, the further you are from downtown.

If you're wealthy, BH and Century City will work just fine. If not so much, any of those other three will work. Culver can get expensive depending on which part of it you're in. I pay 1000 for a 1br/1bath but its also subsidized by UCLA. My apartment would easily go for 1200 or so in Palms, thats about the price range (1100-1300-ish) if you want to live alone. If you're looking in the ritzy parts, all bets are off.

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 09:05:50 PM »
This was cross posted in the reviews forum, but this thread seems pretty active with people in the Know from LA

How is the commute from the 405/10 intersection area to USC and back?
Between 8am-10am?
12-2pm?
3-5pm?
How long does it take?

Same Question for the immediate area around UCLA to USC.

Currently trying to figure out where to live.

Thank you.

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 09:08:12 PM »
Is it really that unpopular to live in the area? I might go to USC, and the thought of commuting for three years really turns me off. I plan on living right around campus all three years, probably in school ran housing. I will have a car, but I rather just not commute. I've always lived in urban areas in the city, and have never had to commute, and am not about to start. Am I going to feel really left out living in the area?

LBJFan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 09:37:03 PM »
This was cross posted in the reviews forum, but this thread seems pretty active with people in the Know from LA

How is the commute from the 405/10 intersection area to USC and back?
Between 8am-10am?
12-2pm?
3-5pm?
How long does it take?

Same Question for the immediate area around UCLA to USC.

Currently trying to figure out where to live.

Thank you.

The commute isnt bad. I live really close to where the 405 & the 10 meet and I worked downtown my 1L summer. Ive done the commute in 15 minutes and Ive done it in 30 minutes. Its like a 10 minute-ish drive without traffic but with traffic obviously it can get worse. Its never taken me more than 30 minutes to get downtown from here though unless there was an accident or a Lakers game.

Its longer from UCLA. When my church was under construction in Torrance, USC's auditorium was our temporary home so I was there a couple times a week while I was living in Westwood. The most annoying part is getting from the 405 to the 10. Although its a short distance, the 405 is absolutely hellish most times of the day.

@ keelee, I dont think its so unpopular, its just not that great of a neighborhood. You can find decent pockets if you want to look for them. Like I said earlier in this post, you have to be careful but you dont have to carry a gun. Its not South Central. If you've always lived in urban areas Im sure you'll be fine.

Nooteboom

• Waitin' for the mail(wo)man...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »
Thanks for all the insight, LBJFan. 

Quick question (posted it elsewhere but there is more traffic here...): how's the commute south (mornings) and north (evenings) on Figueroa Street? I'm looking at some locations about 5 miles north of USC.   

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »
Regarding the immediate area around USC... I don't think its too bad, if you don't stray too far from the school.  I have bumbled around drunk at night there and haven't gotten into any trouble, but its probably not highly recommended to do that if you aren't with a good sized group.  I'd suggest contacting USC and seeing if you can get the scoop from the Admins about what you could expect in the area.

LBJFan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2007, 09:59:04 PM »
Thanks for all the insight, LBJFan. 

Quick question (posted it elsewhere but there is more traffic here...): how's the commute south (mornings) and north (evenings) on Figueroa Street? I'm looking at some locations about 5 miles north of USC.   

Thats not as easy a question to answer. There are certain "commuter" streets Like for ex: Sepulveda that are going to be trafficky in both directions. There are a lot of people (myself included) that dont ever actually get on the freeway on a daily basis because my commute is 4-6 miles both to school and to work. Major streets like Figeroa can be just as bad as the freeway...and usually in both directions. Now of course there will be pockets that clear up the longer you travel on a street but for short distance commuters traveling on major streets, you can usually expect a normal rush hour  traffic (read: crappy) going both ways.

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2007, 10:55:41 PM »
im interested in going to USC or Loyola more likely based on my grades.  I was just lookin at maps on Map Quest to see areas around Loyola's location. And in terms of Beverly Hills, I was just lookin at random apts on cragslist and seriously found some 1 BRs in Beverly Hills for like 850, which surprised me, which is why i was wondering if there were some bad areas in BH I didn't know about, lol.  Thanks for the info tho, anythin else u can tell my about the places to live around Loyola or the school in general would be cool.