Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have jury duty tomorrow, I need excuses!  (Read 4396 times)

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I have jury duty tomorrow, I need excuses!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
Yes, warrants are issued for not showing up to jury duty.  What you think Sheriff Deputies do? 
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:39 AM »
Yes, warrants are issued for not showing up to jury duty.  What you think Sheriff Deputies do?

Sometimes they pick up people with warrants, sometimes they serve warrants, and sometimes they help round up a jury last minute before the right to a speedy trial deadline ends with an in custody defendant that has asserted the right.

I clerked at a court in a rough neighborhood for a while during LS.  The courthouse was right across the street (side street, adjacent parking lots, about 50 yards from door to door) from a big movie theater/entertainment complex.

With some of the criminal cases, when speedy trial rights had been asserted and it was the last day to seat a jury and start trial or else dismiss the charges according to law (typically on a Friday), the sheriff deputies would walk across the parking lot and side street to the movie theater box office line and ask people to come on over to be a juror on a real criminal case instead of paying $10+ to watch a fictional trial. 

I'm not joking about this.  Actually got some pretty good juries that way when they had to do it, plus the volunteers got the juror pay and didn't have to sit through whatever bad movie and waste $$ on popcorn and candy in the theater.  It was win win. (not always for the defendant though!)

Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »

actually, that vary lot from state state.

but they all eat donuts!

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 10:30:22 PM »
Oh I know.

Even gluten intolerant cops? That could hurt their butts.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."