Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seriously considering the $ at a T3 vs. admission at a T1 (JAG)  (Read 7141 times)

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
Re: Seriously considering the $ at a T3 vs. admission at a T1 (JAG)
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2008, 10:27:11 PM »
I'm not sure I'd call law school the real world.

The original poster would have to work hard and make a commitment.  He may not be suited to it, but this is a thread for advice rather than condemnation. 

Also, the army, at least, is hurting for junior officers right now. 

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2008, 12:18:45 AM »
And yes.  He said he did poorly and dropped out. 

Someone suggested, if he was originally interested in the military itself rather than JAG, OCS.  I second that.  They'll help pay off his debt and get a Masters, which is the real first step toward his goal of teaching at the collegiate level.

Fool.  Getting a military commission is MUCH more difficult than getting accepted to law school.  It is very competitive.  Nothing in OP's background would indicate he'd have any chance at this at all.

I have to laugh at idiots who think becoming a military officer is a viable fallback after failing in the "real" world.

Didn't fail.  Quit.

And I certainly wouldn't join the military as a fallback plan.  It's highly doubtful, and it'd be over a year from now.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
And yes.  He said he did poorly and dropped out. 

Someone suggested, if he was originally interested in the military itself rather than JAG, OCS.  I second that.  They'll help pay off his debt and get a Masters, which is the real first step toward his goal of teaching at the collegiate level.

Fool.  Getting a military commission is MUCH more difficult than getting accepted to law school.  It is very competitive.  Nothing in OP's background would indicate he'd have any chance at this at all.

I have to laugh at idiots who think becoming a military officer is a viable fallback after failing in the "real" world.

Didn't fail.  Quit.

And I certainly wouldn't join the military as a fallback plan.  It's highly doubtful, and it'd be over a year from now.

It is a viable career, and "failing" in the real world nowadays is not like failing back in the day.  The catch-22 of you need experience to get entry level jobs and massive non-retirement ensures that there is a glut of overqualified candidates who did excellent in ug and cannot find a job in this economy...military careers will take such a person, and give them excellent benefits, make them an officer, and allow them a pension when they end their 20-25 years, at which point they can enjoy their families.  And if your saying its competitive right now to join army ocs, you may want to read up on the absolute FAMINE for line officers right now.  Yeah, you go to Iraq...but thats what you'd be signing up for.

I laugh at the idiots who think the military is for idiots.

edit: This isnt directed at you gratif

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
I assume it has been said in this thread, but...

AF JAG = competitive

I didn't get it with top 40% grades from Tulane.  My resume isn't super military friendly though - filled with entrepreneurial activities.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »
I assume it has been said in this thread, but...

AF JAG = competitive

I didn't get it with top 40% grades from Tulane.  My resume isn't super military friendly though - filled with entrepreneurial activities.

Credited. Depending on the accessions board, AF JAG has a 7-11% acceptance rate.

Air Force JAG Corps