Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Vs. Wedding Help!!!!  (Read 7066 times)

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Vs. Wedding Help!!!!
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »
She was already told by UM to be there for the first week.  I'm not sure why questioning whether or not she should skip the first week is still an issue...

Again, it's mostly the people in law school who are giving suggestions because we know how it really works. Just because the dean of student services says no doesn't mean her professors will. I know at our school we have certain rules that the professors don't care for and will overlook an absence even if the dean won't give you an excuse.

You confused me.  Just a minute ago, you told her that it's not a good idea to miss the first week because of attendance issues and to call the school to find out the rules.  She did that and was told to be there.

Now you are implying that my statement that it's important to be there is wrong, yet you agreed with it in your last post.  ???
USD 2010

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »
She was already told by UM to be there for the first week.  I'm not sure why questioning whether or not she should skip the first week is still an issue...

Again, it's mostly the people in law school who are giving suggestions because we know how it really works. Just because the dean of student services says no doesn't mean her professors will. I know at our school we have certain rules that the professors don't care for and will overlook an absence even if the dean won't give you an excuse.

You confused me.  Just a minute ago, you told her that it's not a good idea to miss the first week because of attendance issues and to call the school to find out the rules.  She did that and was told to be there.

Now you are implying that my statement that it's important to be there is wrong, yet you agreed with it in your last post.  ???

What I am saying is that there are rules about attendance a)set by the school and b) set by the prof. If you go to the school first and the student services department says no, then you go to the prof and see what s/he says. If at that point the prof doesn't give you a go ahead you have to come to class. Ultimately the profs are the ones who decide whether your attendance will affect your grade so if they decide it doesn't matter it will trump what student services says.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »

What I am saying is that there are rules about attendance a)set by the school and b) set by the prof. If you go to the school first and the student services department says no, then you go to the prof and see what s/he says. If at that point the prof doesn't give you a go ahead you have to come to class. Ultimately the profs are the ones who decide whether your attendance will affect your grade so if they decide it doesn't matter it will trump what student services says.

agreed.  the smallest number of excused absences in any one of my classes is three, for qa class that meets twice a week.

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

payley

• saving the universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2007, 07:58:45 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is.  It's just a wedding ceremony and your dad won't love you any less for not attending.  Try to consider how much of this is about your dad and how much of it is about you simply wanting to be there. 

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2007, 08:27:11 PM »
I say start at UM! The cruise would be great, but if UM is something you really want your father would understand. Plus isn't August the start of hurricane season anyway??? I live in Florida but I can't remember.

Actually Hurricane season is over in November- I think it starts in May. By August you are half way through it
UMiami c/o 2010

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2007, 01:16:54 PM »
Since I'm not in law school yet, I'm completely clueless about the demands of the first week. What I will say, is that I couldn't imagine missing my father's wedding. I would try everything in my power to work with my profs when schedules are distributed.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)