Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How early is too early?  (Read 527 times)

alexjudka

• View Profile
    • Email
How early is too early?
« on: March 25, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am currently a sophomore and have just begun to prepare for the LSAT which seems to be about a year away(June of Junior Year) right now. I took a practice LSAT exam through Kaplan and without studying at all I recieved the score of 151. I am hoping to get this up to a high 160's. I purchased an LSAT review book that I intend to work on slowly on my own until next spring, and then take a Kaplan course to make sure I am prepared for the test in June. I was wondering if anyone had any other advice to prepare for this test. Although I did well on the SAT's I did not do a good job of preparing myself for them and thus stressed out a great deal. I want to ensure that this does not happen again for the LSATs.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated!

Thanks...

bubDread

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How early is too early?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:41:07 PM »
become a philosophy major

but in all seriousness, you might be able to score in the 170's.    You might want to think about taking the test in Feb next year.  You are in the exact same position I was.  By the time I finished my median for PTs was 177.  Make sure to set your goals high.  I read through the LRB and LGB a couple of times last summer when I had free time, so when I started taking PTs I had all of the necessary strategies ready.

you will be fine.

BigNick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:11:35 PM »
I'm in the exact same situtation as you, Alex. I am currently a soph and trying to come up with a comprehensive plan to conquer the LSAT. Don't want the LSAT to end up like my SATs, when I decided it was good to starting studying a couple of days before the test. Needlessly to say, it wasn't a good idea.

My plan:
1) Get the PowerScore Book and studying in the next few months
2) Take a course (powerscore/testmasters) during Summer 2008
3) Take the LSAT during early Summer 2008

Might be jumping the gun....

rebeccakay

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 06:52:37 AM »
In my opinion, it is NEVER too early!  I was in your position a year ago - I am now a junior and just took the LSAT in February.  I had a little over a year to prepare, which gave me time to take lots of preptests without having to cram - my average was approximately one test every two weeks.  Whether or not you should take a course really depends on you; take a few tests and see if your score seems to be going up and if you feel like you are starting to understand things better.  You may be the type who can benefit more from self-preparation than a course.  I took a course, but felt like it didn't help much (if any).  However, at this point, you still have plenty of time if you choose to take one.  Best of luck!

alexjudka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:18:27 AM »
Another quick question...The book I purchased was the Kaplan LSAT Comprehensive program. I dont see anyone around here talking about Kaplan books. Are these not good?

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
get powerscore bibles, they are the best...

Also, take test a couple administrations before you are applying just in case you get sick, have an off-day or panic in the test you're not screwed