Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school for the rest of us: Advice/questions for/from T2/3/4 students:  (Read 37460 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Did any of you law students choose a T2/3/4 school over a higher-tier school because of financial reasons and then regret the decision?  I could definitely see regretting the decision if grades were too low to keep a scholarship, but what about otherwise?  I'm 99% sure I'm heading for a low T2 with scholarship over T1 (just need "good standing" to keep it), but I'm wondering if I will think "what if" 1, 5, maybe 10 years from now.

The poll in this thread (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,84904.0.html) gives some reassurance that not everyone on this board thinks going to the highest ranked school is always the end-all-be-all answer.

I took a full ride at Ole Miss (T2) over Bama (T1) with no $$$.  I've got no regrets, but I'm also in the top 10% with a SA position.  In retrospect, it was a gamble that paid off. Honestly, if I had finished up at the median or worse and was unemployed this summer, I would probably feel differently.

How tough has it been for you to keep that scholarship?
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
My scholarship didn't have a minimum grade requirement, it just required me to make "satisfactory academic progress"... whatever that means.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
My scholarship didn't have a minimum grade requirement, it just required me to make "satisfactory academic progress"... whatever that means.

Damn.  hahahaha

Well, the same question stands for anyone else who posts in this thread: if you're attending a lower ranked school with a major scholarship, how tough has it been for you to keep that scholarship? 
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
I lost mine, it required a 3.3...really tough first year.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I lost mine, it required a 3.3...really tough first year.

Ouch.  Did you work hard, or was it a matter of not putting enough into it to get the scholarship back?

I'm also particularly interested in hearing back from those attending T3/T4 schools, if anyone happens upon this thread. 

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
I'm T3 or wait we jumped to a T2.. :P

I worked very hard the first semester, and gave up the second. It really boiled down to legal writing draining me and my time.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I'm T3 or wait we jumped to a T2.. :P

I worked very hard the first semester, and gave up the second. It really boiled down to legal writing draining me and my time.

Welcome Freak!

Boy thats the truth. legal writing was a total time sink, I spent more time/effort on that class than any other 1L, and it was only worth 2 credits, I did however am jur it, but it hurt my other grades by not putting as much time into them. In retrospect, pick your battles, all that work on 2 credits was not a smart move on my part.

my scholarship only require successful academic progress as well.  i echo matthies and freak with respect to the time legal writing sucks up; as i've spent my entire spring break week on an appellate brief, as well as putting way too much time into it last semester.  i almost did as well, i was 3/131 in that class.  but, that is the only class i was asked about in any interview, besides one person who wanted to know about legal research - the 1 semester hour class.

i had an interview yesterday, and the first thing out of her mouth was 'we were impressed by your writing sample and grade"

so i dunno.  perhaps that is the right battle to fight.

and freak -- a 3.3?  jeebus, i only need a 3.25 to graduate with honors....
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

RN to JD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I thought I'd bump this thread and join in (I'm hoping the OPs don't mind).  I'm currently a 1L at University of Mississippi.  Will be around for the next hour or so taking ?s about anything.

Hey somniferum, I was just wondering if you knew how old the oldest student in 1L is. I know the web site shows avg. age to be 25 or so but what do you actually see on campus? I do expect to be a good bit older than the avg. but it would be nice to have a few more around my age  ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I thought I'd bump this thread and join in (I'm hoping the OPs don't mind).  I'm currently a 1L at University of Mississippi.  Will be around for the next hour or so taking ?s about anything.

Hey somniferum, I was just wondering if you knew how old the oldest student in 1L is. I know the web site shows avg. age to be 25 or so but what do you actually see on campus? I do expect to be a good bit older than the avg. but it would be nice to have a few more around my age  ;D

here at ualr, i'm 47, and the 2nd oldest.  was the 3rd, but #2 changed to night division.  there is a 53-yo doctor ahead of me.  i dont know where i'd be in the night division, i know there was a chiropractor and a business owner who were both older than me....  doesnt help a lot because it's not your specific school, but still
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have nothing of value to contribute. Merely checking in to join the ranks of the T2/3/4.

Still waiting to hear from some places, but looks like I'm going to Seton Hall.
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163