Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school for the rest of us: Advice/questions for/from T2/3/4 students:  (Read 35756 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
What's the ranking?
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
What's the ranking?

Ole Miss was ranked around 90ish last year IIRC

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
What's the ranking?

ok, you've met our low standards, then  :D
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
What's the ranking?

ok, you've met our low standards, then  :D

well hey there neighbor ;)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I've been intruding on this thread, also. For the record, I'm a 3L at a T2.

What Matties is saying about OCI is spot on. Take advantage of any opportunity you have to get out there an meet people. In my experience, a lot of students don't take advantage of resources such as city bar meetings, law school receptions, etc. Go to places like this; meet people. Sure, it's a hassle. But if it pays off as a job, it's a hassle that's well worth its time.

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I have a question regarding networking - I've been trolling the attorney bios on the websites of various firms in my city, and have come across many alums of the school I'll be attending (a T2) who are working in the field I'm interested in.  One in particular had a very similar career to mine before attending law school and graduated recently, so I'd love to get her opinions about the school and her career path.  Also, it would be great to talk to some of the other alums I found who head practice groups in the field.  But is it bad form to just email them out of the blue?  Their email addresses are on the website, so it's not like it's private information, but I don't want to give the wrong impression or bother them unduly.  Should I wait until I'm in school and try to contact them through the alumni office, or see if they show up at networking events?  What would you all recommend?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
FWIW, I've already emailed some attorneys who graduated from the schools I plan to attend and are working in the area where I will probably be living.  I've gotten a couple of responses and already set up a meeting with one of them. 

They didn't seem to be annoyed at the email.  Just make clear why you'd like to meet with them, that they get to call the shots as to time and place, and keep it brief and to the point so they don't have to spend half their day reading your letter.  Also, as Matthies said, make it implicitly clear that this is not job-trolling, but rather advice-seeking.

Good luck!

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Great!  I only know one or two lawyers in the field I want to practice in, so it would be good to hear other perspectives.  I'm definitely not job-trolling, I just want to start finding my way into the legal community here because, as I've been told by most lawyers I know here, it's much smaller than most people think, and once people start to hear your name, everyone knows who you are before long.  So I'd like to start off on a good note  :)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
TAG.

This is good advice for ANYONE.