Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school for the rest of us: Advice/questions for/from T2/3/4 students:  (Read 36369 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
as I've been told by most lawyers I know here, it's much smaller than most people think, and once people start to hear your name, everyone knows who you are before long. 

This is true in almost every legal market, the law field is small and tight nit, everyone knows eeveryone by at most 2 degrees of seperation. Your rep starts in LS, so be nice, the a-holes in my class already have a bad rep, and when we are all working together in a few years that rep will stay with them.

This is a "for sure." Even in a larger city, the legal community can be small in its own way. Play nice w/the other kids while in school becuase you never know.

As for reputations...yes, we've got some of those at my school, also.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
i've met a number of high-profile attorneys in NA  :P

it's true that the smaller the school (especially a state regional school like ualr) the more people know each other and the more your reputation matters.  dont be "that guy"

go out of your way to be remembered favorably
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
i've met a number of high-profile attorneys in NA  :P

it's true that the smaller the school (especially a state regional school like ualr) the more people know each other and the more your reputation matters.  dont be "that guy"

go out of your way to be remembered favorably

Yea, and don't get drunk with your classmates, save that for your non law school frineds. LS is like HS, everything you did, everyone your hit on, and the places you barfed that weekend, everyone in the class will know about the next Monday morning. Its worse than HS actually. Thursday night pub night is just make a fool of yourself and screw up your rep night at my school.

i hit on everybody, but then i am everybody's pet dirty ol man. so it's more like a "oohhh, how cute!" than "ick, get away you bastard"

JD

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tag. This thread is fantastic!

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Just released from LSAC:

Chuck Norris took a Feb. LSAT. When LSAC realized this, it was disclosed.

Chuck Norris did not write the certifying statement. He simply wrote, "Roundhouse kick". When an LSAC employee read this, her neck was mysteriously snapped. Because other LSAC employees feared touching his test, Chuck Norris received the only 181 in history. He went to Cooley and killed everyone on campus. He then renamed it, "Chuck Norris Law". There is only one class, "Chuck Norris Law". The answer to everything is "Because Chuck Norris said so." The only student who ever left Chuck Norris Law alive is Chuck Norris. Despite this fact, it is the most popular law school in the world.

i actually answered a legal research final exam question with "because chuck norris said so."

JD

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Did any of you law students choose a T2/3/4 school over a higher-tier school because of financial reasons and then regret the decision?  I could definitely see regretting the decision if grades were too low to keep a scholarship, but what about otherwise?  I'm 99% sure I'm heading for a low T2 with scholarship over T1 (just need "good standing" to keep it), but I'm wondering if I will think "what if" 1, 5, maybe 10 years from now.

The poll in this thread (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,84904.0.html) gives some reassurance that not everyone on this board thinks going to the highest ranked school is always the end-all-be-all answer.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Matthies' last point -- all hugely relevant stuff. I did something similar. No regrets, either. (And, still have a feeling the powerball is for me...but maybe it's the carbolic smoke ball that I'm thinking of.)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
i've regretted law school in general, but not the school i chose to attend.  i would make the same choice again.

JD

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
Did any of you law students choose a T2/3/4 school over a higher-tier school because of financial reasons and then regret the decision?  I could definitely see regretting the decision if grades were too low to keep a scholarship, but what about otherwise?  I'm 99% sure I'm heading for a low T2 with scholarship over T1 (just need "good standing" to keep it), but I'm wondering if I will think "what if" 1, 5, maybe 10 years from now.

The poll in this thread (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,84904.0.html) gives some reassurance that not everyone on this board thinks going to the highest ranked school is always the end-all-be-all answer.

I took a full ride at Ole Miss (T2) over Bama (T1) with no $$$.  I've got no regrets, but I'm also in the top 10% with a SA position.  In retrospect, it was a gamble that paid off. Honestly, if I had finished up at the median or worse and was unemployed this summer, I would probably feel differently.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
3L, Depaul 80ish.

I would just like to echo the OCI, I did not attend one OCI function - didn't even pay attention to it - and have a position when I pass the BAR. It's networking and your 2L summer position that make all the difference.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.