Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school for the rest of us: Advice/questions for/from T2/3/4 students:  (Read 36350 times)

Clara Bear

• View Profile
Thanks for the info, Rev!  Do you go to the PCBA luncheons?  If so, you've probably seen me; I'm the one who always takes pictures of the meetings because I'm the photog at the Daily Record.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info, Rev!  Do you go to the PCBA luncheons?  If so, you've probably seen me; I'm the one who always takes pictures of the meetings because I'm the photog at the Daily Record.

i'm not sure i've been to one of those or not.  i usually attend wherever there is free food, though.  no wonder i've gained 25 pounds this year and am now on a terrible diet.   :P

are you coming to admitted student day in april?  if you sit in on one of our classes, i'm in the middle section, back row.  old guy with hat on backwards, probably making a smart-ass comment about something.  say hello if you get the chance.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Clara Bear

• View Profile
I didn't realize so few people got jobs from OCIs. Luckily, my job puts me in contact with lots of attorneys and other legal types (I work for a legal newspaper), so I'm able to get a jump on networking.

Rev, unfortunately I won't be able to come to ASD in April because I have to work that day. Good luck with the job hunt!

jsbowen

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Straight cash, homey"
    • View Profile
tag
WVU 2010

button127

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply Rev, great info. I'll have to post some more questions when they come to mind. I've been trying to clear my head of them to focus on my thesis lately :)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
just so you know:

ualr was the overall winner for the Herbert J. Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition hosted by the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York.   There were schools from all over which included such schools as Appalachian School of Law, George Washington, George Mason, Loyola, Charleston, Hofstra, Liberty Univ., Ohio State, Seton Hall, St. Thomas, Dayton, Toledo, Washburn, West Virginia, Whittier, and the schools here in the State of New York.

ualr was also the overall winner of the Hispanic National Moot Court Competition that was held this past weekend in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Some of the schools included: Penn, Northwestern, Univ. of Minn, Emory, Univ. of Illinois, BYU, SMU and those are just the schools that US News and World Reports has ranked in the top 50.   

just because you're going to a t3 doesnt mean that students at higher ranked schools are any better or are more competitive than you.  our little t3 kicked some serious t1 ass this past weekend.  no reason yours cant do the same thing.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
I vote for this thread to be stickied.  Where's GH when you need him?
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Rev-

I'm starting at UALR this August and I'm way excited.  What kinds of places do OCIs there?  Is it only the big firms from LR?  Also, what are you doing for the summer?  Is it easy to find a paying legal job for the summer?

Thanks for your help! (Thanks to Matthies, too, for starting this thread)

network, network, network.  go to bar association lunches (local firms pay for student meals and sponsor them) and find ways -- any ways -- to meet practicing attorneys.  

Please, please, PLEASE if anyone reading this takes nothing else from this thread, take this to heart. OCI is the WORST way to land a job, networking is the best. Too few of your classmates will network though, they just donít get it until its too late. Network from the beginning of law school and I will promise you, you will have a job by 3L regardless of where you go to school or what your class rank is. Law is about WHO you know, not WHERE you go. Iíll try to post something later on networking, but my spring break is over so its back to the grindÖ

I am very much looking forward to this post.  The sooner I start networking, the better.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Clara Bear

• View Profile
Matthies -- I was reading on another thread that you went to Kinkos and got them to chop the binding off of you casebooks and then divide them up into binders.  I think that's a great idea, but inquiring minds want to know how much something like that would cost?

I'm looking at the backpack I got for Christmas and wondering how a laptop and millions of huge textbooks are going to fit, so anything to save space is a must...

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
I thought I'd bump this thread and join in (I'm hoping the OPs don't mind).  I'm currently a 1L at University of Mississippi.  Will be around for the next hour or so taking ?s about anything.