Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school for the rest of us: Advice/questions for/from T2/3/4 students:  (Read 37041 times)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
networking got me a summer clerkship.  volunteered 4 hours a week at legal services all semester, now i've got a job.  woot!
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Yea, congrats to Rev. I will post my networking works in real life example later today. First I need to do some Spring yard work I have been avoiding...

Whoa that was a tease, This is like crack...... Oh well I will still be waiting
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FWIW, an admissions director at a Tier 3 school told me that about 25% of their scholarship students lose their scholarship after their first year.

I am not sure I trusted that person though because they then went on about how its unfortunate when students lose their scholarships and that the school wishes none of them did.  Well if thats true, then why does the school tie-in certain GPA requirements that they know everyone can't possibly meet?

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FWIW, an admissions director at a Tier 3 school told me that about 25% of their scholarship students lose their scholarship after their first year.

I am not sure I trusted that person though because they then went on about how its unfortunate when students lose their scholarships and that the school wishes none of them did.  Well if thats true, then why does the school tie-in certain GPA requirements that they know everyone can't possibly meet?

That's how they can give out so many scholarships...it is absolutely certain that not everyone will make the cut. Some schools take it a step farther by "stacking". That is, they will take everyone who has a scholarship and put them in the same section. They are all graded on the same curve. If there is a cut off, let's say top 50% of the class, then it is guaranteed that 50% of those with scholarships will lose them. It is important to find out if a school you are planning to attend stacks, and they will not all be upfront about it.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
That's how they can give out so many scholarships...it is absolutely certain that not everyone will make the cut. Some schools take it a step farther by "stacking". That is, they will take everyone who has a scholarship and put them in the same section. They are all graded on the same curve. If there is a cut off, let's say top 50% of the class, then it is guaranteed that 50% of those with scholarships will lose them. It is important to find out if a school you are planning to attend stacks, and they will not all be upfront about it.

I just recently found out about the "stacking" ploy.  Sadly, I did not know about this before my round of law school visits that I went on about a month ago.

I do know that they give out more scholarships that they know people can possibly keep.  My point was that if this is their practice, how can their admissions director then look me in the face and say that they wish everyone could keep their scholarship?  That director KNOWS, for a FACT, that everyone won't keep them, its by design!  So don't try and make it like there are circumstances outside of the school's control that regrettably result in some losing their scholarship.

Sorry to get all pissed about this...I just don't like people trying to put crap like that over me.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
I f-ing love this thread.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

rusty

• View Profile
    • Email

How does one go about finding that information?  I assume the admissions office probably wouldn't talk about that even if asked.
GMU '10

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

How does one go about finding that information?  I assume the admissions office probably wouldn't talk about that even if asked.

Pester them again and again. They won't at first, but if you bother them about it, they might. I don't know if they have to, but one would think it is required.

One method that gives away that they are likely doing it: an "Honors" program in which the honor students are in the same class.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

GwenK

• View Profile
Matthies -- fantastic advice! Thanks and keep it comin'!!

GloveDoesntFit

• If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!
    • View Profile
Some good stuff here. Thanks.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.