Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I hate AA  (Read 3750 times)

nyclsat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I hate AA
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
Yeah because it's an issue that many people tend to agree with the OP on.  Obviously, saying that they should be scorned while throwing some kind of fit crosses the line and should be noted, but responding in the same way can be seen as taking a strike against people who oppose AA in general.  Also, calling somebody Mexican because they are, according to the OP, half-Mexican is an offensive statement.  Who's to say what the OP should identify as?  On top of that, Jillibean ignores the fact that some 10% of the Mexican population is white while simultaneously insulting him/her.  The OP might very well be white as well.
Both the OP and the replies were inappropriate, but I thought that the particular vitriol in the replies exceeded that of the OP. 

Anyway, there is a separate forum for this, as noted, so the OP should go there.   

nyclsat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 12:20:38 PM »
Oh wait, I didn't realize we are in the AA forum. 

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »
I'm half Mexican and could have used AA to my advantage, but haven't.  I look at the stats for the top 5 schools and it's pretty obvious who the minorities are.    Lower LSATs but often fairly decent GPAs.  You're not smarter, you're just taking advantage of entrenched racism.  The free ride continues.  To all those white disadvantaged students out their, yes, please, continue to look upon them with scorn.

What are you even saying? It sounds like you are just promoting racial acrimony instead of advancing arguments for the elimination of raced-based admissions. Your type of post undermines the many legitimate arguments against the use of race as a factor in admissions.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »
Yeah because it's an issue that many people tend to agree with the OP on.  Obviously, saying that they should be scorned while throwing some kind of fit crosses the line and should be noted, but responding in the same way can be seen as taking a strike against people who oppose AA in general.  Also, calling somebody Mexican because they are, according to the OP, half-Mexican is an offensive statement.  Who's to say what the OP should identify as?  On top of that, Jillibean ignores the fact that some 10% of the Mexican population is white while simultaneously insulting him/her.  The OP might very well be white as well.
Both the OP and the replies were inappropriate, but I thought that the particular vitriol in the replies exceeded that of the OP. 

Anyway, there is a separate forum for this, as noted, so the OP should go there.   

The fact that she/he said they were Mexican but chose not to use AA made me believe that they were  not white. I could care less if I insulted the Mexican population- my son is half-Mexican, I don't plan on apologizing to him.
UMiami c/o 2010

nyclsat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »
I didn't say you should apologize to anybody.  I said your love of grouping people into racial categories and calling them stupid for disagreeing is just as rude as somebody saying they scorn minorities who benefit from AA.   

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 05:15:56 PM »
I didn't say you should apologize to anybody.  I said your love of grouping people into racial categories and calling them stupid for disagreeing is just as rude as somebody saying they scorn minorities who benefit from AA.   

those two things are not equal
UMiami c/o 2010

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 10:06:27 AM »
Those were just the kind of replies I would expect, thank you.  Further, I expect the guy who got 175 on his LSAT and didn't get into Stanford to view the AA beneficiary who got in with a 165 with complete indignation.  Don't talk to me about soft factors.  Don't talk to me and say, well that's how it works.  It's cheating.  I did look at several other posts.  Can I apply as a URM if I'm only 10% black?  I'm finished with this topic, it's nauseating.  Please don't reply, you just look dumb.

WGWAG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »
Those were just the kind of replies I would expect, thank you.  Further, I expect the guy who got 175 on his LSAT and didn't get into Stanford to view the AA beneficiary who got in with a 165 with complete indignation.  Don't talk to me about soft factors.  Don't talk to me and say, well that's how it works.  It's cheating.  I did look at several other posts.  Can I apply as a URM if I'm only 10% black?  I'm finished with this topic, it's nauseating.  Please don't reply, you just look dumb.

WGWAG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »

1. I love how not according with your notions of fairness = cheating.

2. You don't come off as particularly intelligent, so when you tell people that they look dumb, it doesn't count for much, if anything at all.

3. If you really don't want people to reply, you could just lock the thread.  There's a button on the bottom.
Does this surprise anyone?

I am still super excited about being able to buy booze

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 10:15:34 AM »
Thanks 180.