Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Animal Rights and Law School  (Read 1694 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Rights and Law School
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

ILoveUncleJesse

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »
This thread is bizarre.  I was just thinking about all this this morning, researching which of the schools I'm considering offer courses relating to animal rights law and such.  Looks like NYU does, but I'm not sure how important that should be in my choice.  Minus the animal issue, NYU is my least favorite of the three I'm still considering. Opinions?

ILoveUncleJesse

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 06:45:15 PM »
Tetris, maybe you can help me out.  Seriously, your thread is the biggest coincidence ever, since I was thinking about this all day, but what do you know about working in the field of animal rights?  I'm interested in looking into it because it seems like a really good way of combining something about which I'm passionate with my legal education, but I know very little about how this translates into a career, and how to get from here to there.  Thanks!

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! 

And people are animals... do you support eating people so long as they are tastey?

Are you suggesting, then, that when animals (other than humans) eat other animals, following the food chain that has existed, oh, say, forever, they are doing something wrong?

I truly don't want to sound like a jerk, because I respect someone else's right to choose to not eat animals.  What I don't respect is people who make that choice and then bother other humans who choose to follow the food chain.

That said, I love living animals, too (see avatar).  Duke has lots of animal law stuff, including both a class and a clinic.
http://www.law.duke.edu/animallaw/
http://www.law.duke.edu/animallaw/programs.html

So does GW:
http://www.law.gwu.edu/Academics/Clinical+Programs/Animal+Law+Litigation+Project.htm

Beeker,

With respect, nothing resembling a food chain can be found in an industry that slaughters more than ten billion sentient beings every year -- just in the United States!  The massiveness of animal agribusiness has profound impacts on us all:

* there are more than <a href='http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp'" target="_blank">ten billion non-humans dying in this country each year[/url] simply to satisfy our cultural pallete preferences

the prevalence of <a href='http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/foodborne_illness.html'
target="_blank">foodborne illnesses[/url]

*how much do you care about <a href='http://www.viva.org.uk/guides/planetonaplate.htm'
target="_blank">our global environment[/url]?

* or <a href='http://www.goveg.com/workerRights.asp'
target="_blank">advancing human rights?[/url]<Br>
* what of our <a href='http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/research'
target="_blank">personal and public health?[/url]

any way you cut it, our relations with animals have a huge impact that ripples all around the world.

While I too don't wish to be bothered with trivialities that I have already considered (such as, say, the impact my boots have on a back country trail), I welcome others sharing their feelings on how my actions may hurt them or those they love.  If, as a society, we choose to continue ignoring the huge set of social ills that arise from animal agribusiness, it's almost like saying: "Look, while those who don't drive their Hummers over everything in their path have a right to be respected, I just don't want to hear about how my driving effects others."

You don't sound like a jerk, but I hope you realize that choosing to eat meat, dairy and eggs is a political decision that has deep implications for all of us.

classic post.

"I don't actually have any real thoughts of my own, but I sure can copy paste somebody elses!"
DeVry Tech '10

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »

classic post.

"I don't actually have any real thoughts of my own, but I sure can copy paste somebody elses!"

Seconded. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 08:53:45 PM »

classic post.

Seconded. 

I'm pretty sure that s/he just had a problem linking sources for the stats cited...but you guys can pretend otherwise for a cheap laugh...that works too...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »

classic post.

Seconded. 

I'm pretty sure that s/he just had a problem linking sources for the stats cited...but you guys can pretend otherwise for a cheap laugh...that works too...

You're absolutely right.  I apologize. 
CLS '10

FearOfMusic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »
A friend of mine did a master of bioethics at penn and focused in animal research ethics and regulations. you can do a joint degree JD/Master of Bioethics there.
Once in a lifetime(A): Penn
Thank you for sending me an angel(In): Chicago, NYU, Duke, GULC, BC, Temple
Puzzlin evidence(WL): Columbia
Road to nowhere(Out): YLS

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 11:22:21 PM »

classic post.

Seconded. 

Fair enough. Regardless, that doesn't make any of the points any more valid. S/he still relies on hypocrisy to make he/r point.

I always get a kick out of how frequently I see vegetarians berating non-vegetarians for their moral decisions when it comes to what they eat. 99% of the time, if the tables were turned and someone else were berating them for their moral decisions when it comes to things like religion, abortion, gay marriage, et al., they would (rightfully) tell said person to take their morals and shove them.

If someone want to claim that my decision to eat meat has a tangible negative impact on them, then they should pass a law banning it. Until then, I'll exercise my ability to eat what I like.
DeVry Tech '10

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »
If someone want to claim that my decision to eat meat has a tangible negative impact on them, then they should pass a law banning it. Until then, tough sh*t, I'll exercise my ability to eat what I like.

So, even if it was demonstrated that eating meat had a tangible negative impact on some person/people, you wouldn't stop unless it was made illegal?

just checking.

they'll have to pry my hot wings from my cold dead fingers
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD