Law School Discussion

Penn ASW, Part II, The Redux (Simultaneous Post-Mortem)

m1

• View Profile
Re: Penn ASW, Part II, The Redux (Simultaneous Post-Mortem)
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »
Awesome--thanks you guys for all the info and the link.

So University City is only about 20 blocks away? Am I crazy for thinking that seems really walkable (unless it's freezing outside)?

Penn is in university city, which starts around 30th (once you cross the river).  Walking from 23rd to penn (34th) was very easy. IIRC, philly blocks are shorter than NYC (I think someone told me that while I was there, although according to dash I might be mistaken).

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2007, 12:28:51 PM »

So University City is only about 20 blocks away? Am I crazy for thinking that seems really walkable (unless it's freezing outside)?

The blocks are slightly longer than NYC blocks, I believe. Plus you've got the Schuykill to contend with. Formidable.

Not sure what that is--some sort of hill? I feel like I walked over a nice walkway that was on a hill, but I don't know which direction I was going in. Maybe it all seemed like a nice place to walk around because it was such beautiful weather.

So everyone takes the bus? Hmmm. This makes the student housing seem like a nice option (plus it's a 10 month lease). What's the consensus on student housing--overpriced? The 1L student I spoke with said the utilities can be killer off-campus, whereas in student housing they're taken care of (I'm assuming).

i think thats the name of the river i was talking about.  the university housing is pretty ridiculously overpriced for what you get (a glorified closet, from what I saw). you can do FAR better by looking off campus.  www.upenn.edu/offcampusliving is a good place to start

edit: and in regards to the bus question, I would say the vast majority of students I talked to during the ASW walk to campus.  a select few would take the subway for the bus, but that was mostly because they lived way out in the suburbs or didn't want to walk through the snow.

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2007, 12:33:56 PM »
not to derail this, but are you leaning one way or another hollow?

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »
Back to housing, for a second.  The Schuykill is the river about a ten minute walk from the law school that separates U. City from Center City.  There are a lot of bridges across it, but they're not very nice.  Usually living in Center City is a 15-25 minute walk away, so it's not too bad, although you have to remember you'll have your laptop, books, etc on some days.  The walk over the bridge is less than pleasant, however.  The current students I talked to seemed to both walk and use public transport.

When I first saw the grad housing, I was absolutely repulsed.  But I saw a double with two bedrooms and a kitchen.  This (and the other option of a single room) runs about $650 a month in including all utilities, so it's pretty cheap.  My host told me that the single apartments in the grad housing (they run an overpriced $1200 or so a month) are more tolerable, so I'm *strongly* considering one of those if I go to Penn.  Yes, it's expensive, but comparable to what you'd pay for a 1 bedroom in CC, and to me, the convenience can't be beat.  Plus, you'll get to know the 1L's in the grad housing more easily and be able to split cabs, etc when you do go out.

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
Back to housing, for a second.  The Schuykill is the river about a ten minute walk from the law school that separates U. City from Center City.  There are a lot of bridges across it, but they're not very nice.  Usually living in Center City is a 15-25 minute walk away, so it's not too bad, although you have to remember you'll have your laptop, books, etc on some days.  The walk over the bridge is less than pleasant, however.  The current students I talked to seemed to both walk and use public transport.

When I first saw the grad housing, I was absolutely repulsed.  But I saw a double with two bedrooms and a kitchen.  This (and the other option of a single room) runs about $650 a month in including all utilities, so it's pretty cheap.  My host told me that the single apartments in the grad housing (they run an overpriced $1200 or so a month) are more tolerable, so I'm *strongly* considering one of those if I go to Penn.  Yes, it's expensive, but comparable to what you'd pay for a 1 bedroom in CC, and to me, the convenience can't be beat.  Plus, you'll get to know the 1L's in the grad housing more easily and be able to split cabs, etc when you do go out.

So, the dorms they offer were really that disgusting Saja? Just run down? Small? Unliveable?

I'm considering the 1 bedroom too--from the website though it seems they're 950, not 1200. I'd rather not have a long, painful walk in the cold, esp for 1L when you're not going to be home that often.

Honestly, they are old and a bit on the run down side, but they are not awful.  I moved off campus after my first year of undergrad, so it's just a bit hard for me to face moving back into dorms again.  BUT... I only saw the setup with two rooms off a kitchen with absolutely no common space to chill out, etc.  That was by far my biggest problem.  With my own kitchen/living room, I think it would be fine.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
not to derail this, but are you leaning one way or another hollow?

i'm leaving the country in a few weeks, so i'm going to send in a deposit to michigan and start looking for housing in ann arbor.  thing is, i want a housemate (already have one, basically) and don't really know what to do about the whole waitlist situation.  the likelihood of me getting in is so small that i don't want to force myself to live alone so that in the unlikely event of an acceptance i don't have to bail on somebody, but i also don't want to potentially cause a huge problem for said housemate.  if i haven't gotten in off the waitlist(s) by mid-july or so, i'll probably remove myself from consideration, i'm guessing. 

If you were to get in before June and I choose Penn, we could get the apt together, but I leave the country in June.

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2007, 03:14:33 PM »

The blocks are slightly longer than NYC blocks, I believe. Plus you've got the Schuykill to contend with. Formidable.

But if you're drunk, the walk seems really fast.

« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »

PS. Deldad, your kids are so adorable!

Thanks!

They had a great time - they'll make occasional appearances up there this fall, I'm sure. :D

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:31 PM »
why do the current students not take the bus/subway -too unreliable? too dirty? or are they too cheap?

i was planning to do the subway or bus thang, i just am so over dorm-living and i like the idea of living far-ish away

i already live 15-20 minute walk away from classes anyways (and its uphill), so this should be ok.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2007, 08:37:06 PM »
why do the current students not take the bus/subway -too unreliable? too dirty? or are they too cheap?

i was planning to do the subway or bus thang, i just am so over dorm-living and i like the idea of living far-ish away

i already live 15-20 minute walk away from classes anyways (and its uphill), so this should be ok.

Actually, most do. I'm of the view that doesn't. I just don't because the walk wakes me up in the morning and I do have some problems with public transportation here (not always reliable, can be crowded) so I'd much rather walk - it is more enjoyable to me.