Law School Discussion

Laptop Specs

Laptop Specs
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »
What is considered the best when buying a new laptop, I'm asking about processor speeds and things like that.  When I go look at the thinkpad site I just don't know what half the spec stuff means.  Any help?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Specs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 01:13:19 PM »
Any laptop you can buy today has easily twice the processor you need.

What will make it *Feel* faster is more ram and dual core.

I defy anyone to actually distinguish between a 1.8ghz core2 duo and a 2.4ghz in any non-gaming/scientific/graphics/video application.

Get the slowest processor with the most ram (1ghz if you are cheap, 2ghz if you want to splurge- 1ghz will be plenty however) and you will be fine. The slower processor will get better battery life anyways because it will be less power hungry.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »
While this is true in principle, it's not always true.  A faster processor made with a smaller process (say, 90nm vs 120nm) might use less energy.

True, but I was basing this on the assumption the OP was buying a new computer. A 120nm processor would be pretty old, and a 90nm is AMD only these days which has a pretty meager notbeook presence.

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
As the previous posters mentioned:

- get the slowest processor offered (around a 1.6 GHz is standard these days and is more than sufficient)
- get at least 1GB of Memory (note, not hard-disk, not sure how technical you are so forgive me if you already knew the difference)
- for maximum mobility, invest in a high capacity battery (any pitfalls ergarding these that anyone is aware of?)
- pay attention to screen size, it is usually inversely proportional to mobility, unless you don't mind logging around a 6-lb laptop (I think 14 inch is a good mid-point)
- opt for Windows XP professional, over Vista.
- For law school, you probably only need Window's student's edition (cheaper then professional)

Aside: invest in a small laser printer (pretty good ones can be found for under $200 these days).  Will turn out much cheaper than the inkjets.

Will update if I remember anything else.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:28:59 PM »
- opt for Windows XP professional, over Vista.

I use Vista on my lappy and actually prefer it for day to day tasks. For gaming or more hardcore tasks, I would take XP any day over it (hence my desktop runs xp pro)

Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 07:30:14 AM »
- get at least 1GHz of Memory (note, not hard-disk, not sure how technical you are so forgive me if you already knew the difference)

1 GHz of memory, huh?  Geez, I must not be that technical.  Forgive me.

Ha, that's classic stuff. 
:D, fixt