Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptop Specs  (Read 632 times)

melisssasue

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alemanmelissa
    • View Profile
Laptop Specs
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:09:11 PM »
What is considered the best when buying a new laptop, I'm asking about processor speeds and things like that.  When I go look at the thinkpad site I just don't know what half the spec stuff means.  Any help?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Specs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »
Any laptop you can buy today has easily twice the processor you need.

What will make it *Feel* faster is more ram and dual core.

I defy anyone to actually distinguish between a 1.8ghz core2 duo and a 2.4ghz in any non-gaming/scientific/graphics/video application.

Get the slowest processor with the most ram (1ghz if you are cheap, 2ghz if you want to splurge- 1ghz will be plenty however) and you will be fine. The slower processor will get better battery life anyways because it will be less power hungry.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »
While this is true in principle, it's not always true.  A faster processor made with a smaller process (say, 90nm vs 120nm) might use less energy.

True, but I was basing this on the assumption the OP was buying a new computer. A 120nm processor would be pretty old, and a 90nm is AMD only these days which has a pretty meager notbeook presence.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
As the previous posters mentioned:

- get the slowest processor offered (around a 1.6 GHz is standard these days and is more than sufficient)
- get at least 1GB of Memory (note, not hard-disk, not sure how technical you are so forgive me if you already knew the difference)
- for maximum mobility, invest in a high capacity battery (any pitfalls ergarding these that anyone is aware of?)
- pay attention to screen size, it is usually inversely proportional to mobility, unless you don't mind logging around a 6-lb laptop (I think 14 inch is a good mid-point)
- opt for Windows XP professional, over Vista.
- For law school, you probably only need Window's student's edition (cheaper then professional)

Aside: invest in a small laser printer (pretty good ones can be found for under $200 these days).  Will turn out much cheaper than the inkjets.

Will update if I remember anything else.
HLS '10

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 09:28:59 PM »
- opt for Windows XP professional, over Vista.

I use Vista on my lappy and actually prefer it for day to day tasks. For gaming or more hardcore tasks, I would take XP any day over it (hence my desktop runs xp pro)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:30:14 AM »
- get at least 1GHz of Memory (note, not hard-disk, not sure how technical you are so forgive me if you already knew the difference)

1 GHz of memory, huh?  Geez, I must not be that technical.  Forgive me.

Ha, that's classic stuff. 
:D, fixt
HLS '10